bennett999

Reaction score
Currently managing Preston North End, in my first 6 competitive games of the season I've got 2 points, so yet to win. In my previous save as Fulham I finished the season with 1 win in 12.

As Preston I've got Kevin Davies 5*, Declan Rudd 4*, Morgaro Gomis 4* etc. I've tried various tactics and instructions but have never played well. Im really struggling on this year's game, quite annoying when I can't even win a game with the only two teams I want to be. Anyone have any ideas that can help me to succeed on FM14? I've got a solid squad, but just can't make them play well.

On your 4-5-1 formation I would play the 2 wide players as 'inside forwards' or 'advanced playmakers'. Also as Preston's defense look quite slow i'd play a deep defensive line & change your 'ball winning midfielder' to an 'anchor man' to support your defense.

I have Gary Martin on my KR save and he plays best for me as an 'inside forward' on the left wing, or a 'false 9' when playing centrally.

I wouldn't use the 4-4-2 formation as it's pretty easy to defend against.

Wish you good luck with your save.

thanks a lot mate, will give it a go. Martin has been quite inconsistent so far

i recommend loaning darnell situ from swansea paying ?500 a week on wages he is a quality cb for me and after first season you can sign him on a free, also will hayhurst in the under 21s plays really well on the left wing, check near january on kevin philips if he gets released he is a quality striker in league 1

Try using the 5-3-2 wall of steel working for me and im 1st 6 points clear with 2 games to go!

Instructions doesn't match the formations you using, you playing very direct (go one route/pump ball into box) with 4-3-3(DM) and 4-2-2 with support target man and playmaker, those are more possession based. I've been working on direct style (counter attack) I recommend goalkeeper with good kicking, an attack midfielder (support) with good air/creativity (probably your target man could do this) and quick strikers, I use poacher + advanced forward combo. Then 2 CM defensive/workhouse players.

I'm using a 5-3-2 when away and 3-5-2 with defensive wingers at home. Just instruct your most creative players to be more risk/direct and your quick strikers should get some chances as well your central midfielders long shots. There are a few more tweaks I do now and then but its basically this. I get most goals from my strikers from trough/long balls, and Attacking midfielder (false target man?lol) from crosses of my strikers.

I usually swap my advanced forward with my target man (attack) when my wide players are getting chances to cross. Also instruct your goalkeeper to do long kicks or distribute to your target man / attacking midfielder, but leaving the instruction to Long kicks your GK may find other opportunities as well.

Last edited:
you wanna win ? try this magnificent lost-quit-load game-repeat until win method lol