thorton

Reaction score
Signed Oviedo from Everton on a free after my second season as Notts Forest after getting a CL spot and he got a work permit declined, appealed and it also got declined, then I tried again and it got decline for a third time.

Doesn't really make sense since he was signed from Everton where he played a few games.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Can't recall the exact numbers. But if a player is from outside the EU (no permit needed) or a few other selected nations that have work agreements with Britain/EU, the player must be from a nation ranked in FIFA's top 50 or 100 (can't recall which)

in addition to that, the player must have played in 80% of his national teams fixtures in the previous 2 years. There are exceptional circumstances like injury etc which are considered.

If he doesn't meet those criteria there is an appeal process and the club must demonstrate that he is an 'exceptional talent' - quite what this means and how it is replicated in the game has never really been clear.

Last edited:
Ahh, have always wondered why i couldn't get permits for regular internationals from nations like Kenya etc. Didn't realise fifa rankings played a part. Thanks Jake :)

So, is the bug removed then? Last year around, if you had a club for WP, you had to get the player into your squad, even w/o WP, and then apply once again. You'd get the permit irrespective of whether or not the player had been selected for his NT..

Similar thing happened with Savitskiy for me this year, but he also played for his NT in the 180 day gap between two appeals, so I dunno if it was still the cause..

Similar thing happened with Savitskiy for me this year, but he also played for his NT in the 180 day gap between two appeals, so I dunno if it was still the cause..

I signed Savitsky in my first season in the Championship. Couldn't play for me. I got promoted and was desperately trying to loan him out for free, but no takers. Then, randomly, a team in L1 offered to take him on loan for a month. On appeal, they got him. He destroyed L1 and all of a sudden he could play for me when I asked for WP. He didn't seem to play many internationals, so I have no idea how it all worked.

Strange, but it worked somehow. He's currently smashing apart Premiership defences.

Can't recall the exact numbers. But if a player is from outside the EU (no permit needed) or a few other selected nations that have work agreements with Britain/EU, the player must be from a nation ranked in FIFA's top 50 or 100 (can't recall which)

in addition to that, the player must have played in 80% of his national teams fixtures in the previous 2 years. There are exceptional circumstances like injury etc which are considered.

If he doesn't meet those criteria there is an appeal process and the club must demonstrate that he is an 'exceptional talent' - quite what this means and how it is replicated in the game has never really been clear.

Hmm, that clears that up I guess. Still not sure why I can't get a permit though, he didn't play much for Everton but played 8 internationals in the season before I signed him which considering it was a qualifying season internationally it doesn't really make sense.

Oh well, signed Ben Davies in the mean time so I guess I can just forget about him.

This turned out quite well in the end:

Signed him on a free, couldn't get a permit so sent him out on a loan with 100% wages being paid, sold him at the end of the season for 4m.

Nice bit of business imo.