Jon25

Reaction score
Im spurs and i always struggle to beat the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea and ive just drawn Barca in the first knockout round of the Champions League ! :( Does anyone have any proven tactical advice to help beat these clubs with a team of tottenhams ability? Especially away from home. Thanks

I find I do better if I take the game to them rather than letting them walk all over me and hoping for a lucky break.

Yeah agreed usually when you sit back you play ****!and jsut get anhilated unless its ultra contain!

I've always found if I sit back they're gonna get a goal - and at least one as morale collapses. Much better to try to attack them, e.g. control - retain possession, or standard - retain possession. If they don't have the ball, they're not gonna score!

yeah sure thing:

my normal tactic is a controlling tactic because I'm in the SPL and, well, we're basically the best team there ha.
when I first started playing in the champions league with that tactic I got slaughtered so having consulted that thread, I changed the following when playing in Europe.
I changed the starting strategy to counter. Then I got some rapid wingers (zhirkov and walcott) and changed my passing from short to direct (vital part).
on a matchday I would then take the pressure off my team in conferences, saying that we're not favourites, put the pressure on them etc. then on opposition instructions, nullify their main creative threats by closing down, and going in hard on wingers, wingbacks and strikers.
it's worked so far, so tell me how it works for you!

I agree that you shouldn't sit too deep but in the same time if you just go at the best teams, you will get caught out. maybe do this tactic away from home as spurs already have a good enough team to beat the likes of chelsea, arsenal at home. just make sure you take the pressure off your team and nullify their main threats with opposition instructions. then it's down to your team!

I would then take the pressure off my team in conferences, saying that we're not favourites, put the pressure on them etc.

Does this not make the players unhappy as your putting them down?

Does this not make the players unhappy as your putting them down?

not in my experience, unless you actually are favourites.. it tends to both put the pressure on their team and also make your team want to prove you wrong, so long as you have players with high determination.

Take a bow son! Just beat Arsenal 1-0 away in the FA cup fourth round, Michael Dawson header 7th min! two games ago i lost 5-1 away in the league to them! They are unbeaten in the league after 21 games! They have only lost once in english competitions, twice now! Cheers mate !!!!!!

haha that's fantastic, and you're welcome! always glad to be of service xD
i would recommend saving that tactic as a back-up, and make sure your team practices it in match-preperation and it should be fit to use for a long time in the future!

Counter attacking.

this, i won the champions league with Fiorantina beating Real Madrid, Arsenal, Man United and then Barca in the final by just playing 4-5-1, being defensivly solid and knicking goals on the counter or from set pieces

In my first few seasons as Villa I just sat back and remained defensively solid then hit them on the counter with the amazing pace in the villa squad. Won most of the big games that way. :)