how do you edit the commentary text?

thfc1983

Reaction score
does anyone know how to edit the in game commentary that describes the action?

Sure, I've done it myself a couple of times.

Go to C > Program Files > Steam > Steamapps > Common > Football Manager 2011 > Data > Events.

In there you will find a file called 'Events'. Open it with Notepad. It's a big old file, and you should see something like this:

##### cm4 event file
# Languages included: ENGLISH (1062 events), DANISH (1062 events), DUTCH (1062 events), CZECH (1062 events)
#, ENGLISH_AMERICAN (1062 events), FRENCH (1062 events), ITALIAN (1062 events), KOREAN (1062 events)
#, NORWEGIAN (1062 events), POLISH (1062 events), PORTUGUESE (1062 events), RUSSIAN (1062 events)
#, SPANISH (1062 events), SWEDISH (1062 events)

# EVENT_WAIT
= 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
> 10, 900
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> holds up the ball
REPORT ENGLISH: <p1> held up the ball
REPLAY ENGLISH:

On the screen. That particular entry in full reads like this (the full entry for the English language that is. If you want to edit a different language, apply the same rules to a different language set).

##### cm4 event file
# Languages included: ENGLISH (1062 events), DANISH (1062 events), DUTCH (1062 events), CZECH (1062 events)
#, ENGLISH_AMERICAN (1062 events), FRENCH (1062 events), ITALIAN (1062 events), KOREAN (1062 events)
#, NORWEGIAN (1062 events), POLISH (1062 events), PORTUGUESE (1062 events), RUSSIAN (1062 events)
#, SPANISH (1062 events), SWEDISH (1062 events)

# EVENT_WAIT
= 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
> 10, 900
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> holds up the ball
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900,
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> is forced to hold onto the ball
REPORT ENGLISH: <p1> was forced to hold onto the ball
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900,
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> holds up play
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900,
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> holds up the play
REPORT ENGLISH: <p1> tried to hold up the play
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900,
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> delays playing the ball
REPORT ENGLISH: <p1> delayed playing the ball
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900,
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> puts his foot on the ball
REPORT ENGLISH: <p1> put his foot on the ball
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900,
INGAME ENGLISH: <p1> pauses and waits for support
REPORT ENGLISH: <p1> paused and waited for support
REPLAY ENGLISH:

If we go over it line by line, the '>' symbol represents a new strand. I don't know what the numbers do, but don't touch them, they might be important!
'INGAME -language-' represents what the commentary will look like in that particular language. If we take the top example, it would read in game that '<p1>' (the player in question) 'holds up the ball'.
'REPORT -language-' just shows what the commentary would be in the match report, thus usually the past tense version of it.
'REPLAY -language-' is what the commentary says in a replay. If you leave this blank it will take it from the 'REPORT' section, which works fine.

Therefore if you want to edit it, go ahead and change the text on one of them. If you want to add a new one, then all you need to do is copy the numbers line (in this case '> 10, 900') and put in your own one. For instance, I wanted to add a new bit of commentary for the event where a striker misses completely. Thus, I find '# EVENT_SHOT_WELL_WIDE'. Below is the event and the first strand of commentary data.

# EVENT_SHOT_WELL_WIDE= 127, 1, 0, 0, 0, 6, 2, 0, 0, SOUND_BIG_DISAPPOINTMENT, SOUND_RIDICULE_FROM_OPPOSITION
> 10, 900, 38
INGAME ENGLISH: But <p1> puts it well wide!
REPORT ENGLISH: But <p1> put it well wide
REPLAY ENGLISH:

All I do now is copy the '> 10, 900, 38' line, as well as the 'INGAME', 'REPORT' and 'REPLAY' structure and add it beneath the existing one. Thus, I come up with this:

# EVENT_SHOT_WELL_WIDE
= 127, 1, 0, 0, 0, 6, 2, 0, 0, SOUND_BIG_DISAPPOINTMENT, SOUND_RIDICULE_FROM_OPPOSITION
> 10, 900, 38
INGAME ENGLISH: But <p1> puts it well wide!
REPORT ENGLISH: But <p1> put it well wide
REPLAY ENGLISH:
> 10, 900, 38
INGAME ENGLISH: And he's Heskeyed it!|Shocking effort
REPORT ENGLISH: But he Heskeyed it!
REPLAY ENGLISH:

And in match, my gentle prod at Heskey comes up in match whenever a striker misses a sitter. Note that '|' means that the commentary begins a new line, as in him saying "And he's Heskeyed it! *pause* Shocking effort".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
nice one mate, will give it a try when i get home

lol @ the heskey dig :p