Cherub007

Reaction score
I just lost to a team I should never have lost to and I think complacency may have been a factor. I've been on a decent run and morale throughout the side is superb, but my AM told me before the game that a couple of players thought they just had to turn up to win, or something like that. Anyway, I lost 1-0, although dominated chances and missed a pen, but I never flowed like in previous games and it all felt a bit wrong and the only thing I can think of to blame is the attitude. What's the best way to try and prepare the side mentally when they are doing well?

Pre match team talk say I expect a win.
Half Time say Dont't let your performnce drop (If winning) / I want to see more from you (If losing)

2nd leg - Not over yet / I expect a win.

That works for me.

If you are much harsher during team-talks then I'm sure complacency wouldn't be an issue. Even when you win games against easy teams (or even teams such as Everton, Fulham, etc) don't say "Well Done" if you edge them out 1-0, 2-0 etc - they tend to get cocky that way.

Good tips, folks, many thanks. I think I've probably been a little easy on the players as I'm worried about player morale, but I seem to be doing OK at the moment (6th), so I can probably afford to kick some **** and take some names once in a while.

isn't that meant to be

where's your self re-cocking-spect?

?!

great, great show.

spanking_paddle_punishment2.jpg

Warnings and player rotation works wonders for me.

Just be ruthless, don't be afraid to "blow your top" when you feel it is needed. I lost my opening game with Birmingham against Newcastle 4-0 at home and put team talk to angry, the following game I said I expected a win and won 5-2

@karlosspain.

Yes and yes. I thank you deeply, I knew it didn't quite sound right but couldn't be arsed to google it!

If your assistant says X player is looking cocky or expecting to win, then use expect a performance! on him, rotate a couple squad players in over your first XI for a lesser team.

But dont be too harsh against better teams, no point saying you expect a win against chelsea when your blackpool ;)

Since years FM, I've Used:

Pre-Match
Big Favourites - Expect a win
Other team favourites/Close favourites - For the fans
'Expect to pick up where you left off' - To every player i can
'Expect Better' - if available

Half-Time:
Draw or 1 goal lead - Encourage
2 goal lead - Pleased
Losing - For the fans or Expect Better, or None (Depending on my own patience with team!)
Always 'Have Faith' for those who have scored or 7.4 rating ore more.
Prove a point to everyone i can, sub less than 6.0 ratings.

Post-Match
Always give 'Delighted' for players over 7.4 rating
Overall Teamwalk: Pleased for win upto 2 goals, Sensational/Delighted for everything after that.

This tends to keep morale up and I've not suffered with complacency issues so far.

Oh, by the by.
Don't be afraid to sub poor players in the first half, I've used all 3 subs inside 15 minutes before (went 0-3 down to fulham at anfield, came back to win 5-3, 1 of my subs hitting 3).

Last edited:
How to fight complacency.

Drop anyone who was complacent in their previous match. Buy a hot young prospect who plays in their position.

Basically scare the **** out of them.