How do you find coaches with 4.5/5 stars for training? do coaches improve?

Reaction score
I've heard high determination/level of discipline/motivation gets you high stars, can anyone confirm? I'm in year 2020 now so I can't use the preassembled lists...

also, do coaching attributes improve with their coaching licenses? do they improve otherwise?

Yeah I can confirm the first part, DDM (Determination, Discipline and Motivation) contributes to the rating of all coaching types, but other attributes are used for specific coaching roles. From the top of my head, Attacking and Technical stats are used for Shooting Training, while Attacking and Tactical are used for Attacking training. Have a google of this and you should find what attributes are used for each training category.

You might find it helpful to download a coaching calculator, it's just a simple program in which you enter the attributes of a coach and it calculates his star rating in each category, very useful.

Sadly I can't answer that last question, I haven't paid enough attention to my coaches exact numbers to notice a difference. Hope I helped.

Yeah I can confirm the first part, DDM (Determination, Discipline and Motivation) contributes to the rating of all coaching types, but other attributes are used for specific coaching roles. From the top of my head, Attacking and Technical stats are used for Shooting Training, while Attacking and Tactical are used for Attacking training. Have a google of this and you should find what attributes are used for each training category.

You might find it helpful to download a coaching calculator, it's just a simple program in which you enter the attributes of a coach and it calculates his star rating in each category, very useful.

Sadly I can't answer that last question, I haven't paid enough attention to my coaches exact numbers to notice a difference. Hope I helped.

thanks! unfortunately I knew about the different characteristics already, but I appreciate the thought! The reason why I'm asking is because I'm in year 2020 and I have found a number of decent coaches with decent stats (15+ DDM, 19,18 attacking/technical for example). However, thatguy's only a 4 star trainer! But he has no coaching licenses. I was wondering if coaching licenses would improve the stars.

I'm not sure licences do make a difference, but as a general rule I look for about 15 for each of the attributes necessary minimum. DDM need to be at about 15 each average, and Handling is one I can't quite understand but these are the other attributes for the different training categories...

DDM+Fitness=Strength and Aerobic

DDM+Goalkeepers-Goalkeepers (Handling is different somehow but it applies to shot stopping)

DDM+Tactical-Tactics

DDM+Tactical+Defending=Defence

DDM+Tactical+Attacking=Attack

DDM+Mental+Technique=Ball Control

DDM+Mental+Attack=Shooting.

Try and get at least a 4 1/2 star coach for tactical as it covers more attributes than the other categories and with a high tactical knowledge attribute can give you a staff member who can give good advice on opposition instructions and other tactical areas.

Coaching licences might give a (small) boost or something like bigger chance to increase stats, but I haven't really noticed something like that to be sure. But I do know that stats increase over time - for what reason though I do not know exactly.

I see the coaching licences as an indicator of the coaches potential development, if a coach has a pro licence it would suggest they aren't going to improve very drastically in the future.

Usually when a coach finishes a coaching course, their coaching attributes will recieve a small boost. As an example: Andy Crosby was a coach for my Aston Villa side. He had 4 stars in tactics and defending, but as soon as he finished a coaching course he became 4 1/2 in tactics and coaching. I am not sure if coaches attributes develop naturally without courses though.