How do you go about your transfer business?

MisterLSJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Two things really. I'm looking for general thoughts from everyone in how they go about their transfer business. Do you tend to go really in-depth or just buy for the sake of buying? Also I'm looking for some advice...

I'm just heading into my 2021/2022 season on my Spurs save.

Last season was the first time I managed to win every single competition entered which I was pretty pleased about. Daniel Levy on the other hand was so over the moon he performed Madonna's 'Like a Virgin' at the 'T.H. End of Season Party' in a spurs home kit style mankini. Spectacular sight I can assure you...

Anyway it's that exciting time of the year where the transfer window has opened again, bringing with it that chance to find that extra player who can add more goals, or help concede less etc.

My general rule of thumb throughout playing FM has been to look towards my youth ranks/sign talented youngsters and watch them develop. It's rare I'll break the bank (£30M +) for that marquee signing.

My squad is an absolutely great one (If I do say so myself lol) but you can never stop looking to improve.

This transfer window I'm mainly looking to purchase an effective Advanced Playmaker - someone who has the skill to unlock the opposition defence with either skill or a perfect pass and who can work effectively in the AMC position but I really don't want to pay over the odds. The majority of players who I find I think are perfect, their clubs want £40M - £60M - those sort of figures make me cry a little even though I have more than enough in the bank to cover it.

Throughout the whole of last season I was keeping tabs on this guy, Pavol Dzurik.
View attachment 380673View attachment 380672View attachment 380675

He is Leeds' most expensive player (In terms of Value) and has consistently been one of their top performers in the PL which I think is good considering Leeds have consistently been below the top 8 in their last 3 seasons. His stats which are low don't really concern me too much (Should they?) and the negative PPM he has is that he argues with officials. Otherwise my heart is telling me he would be a good buy (My scout says I could get him for between £15 - 20 mill). I know the two stars are relative...

I should point out that I already have a similar play in the squad Tomas Polacek who manages to play well, just not how I'd often want him to. Is Pavol worth bringing in?

To be honest you can probably get much better regens in that position (stat wise), especially young Brazilians who you can get for peanuts but if you like him and have been following him a long time then why not if he's performing well. Stats (attributes) aren't always everything. Stars aren't always right, I recently signed a 17 year old Brazilian player of the year right back who my scouts deemed 2.5 potential and once he joined he is now 5 stars. Just make sure he plays well each week, that is the most important thing. :)

Against my better judgement I tend to buy for the sake of buying. :$ For example, I currently have a save where I am managing Dortmund, halfway through the second season. I have 4 strikers, Lewandowski who I started with and the player who scored the most in the 1st season. Jovetic, who was unhappy and I got for 17.5 million. Papis Cisse who's contract was mutally terminated, I think and a lesser-known poacher called Abdellaoue. Lewandowski - who is world class :p - and the Poacher would've been fine for my formation but I bought Jovetic because he was unhappy and Cisse because he had finishing of 20. I don't think Palov is worth it. His passing and decisions aren't exactly world-class and if you have a player who can play like him, albeit inconsistently I don't think it is worth buying him. Just read this and realised I have contradicted my transfer style :p

Yeah, I've noticed when you get into later years like that in your save players start going for ridiculous amounts of money. Maybe the game is just trying to simulate the growing inflation of transfer fees and wages? If you've got the money for it, go for it. My advice is to not be a Wenger and fail to adapt to the current market rates.

If you won everything last year (presumably champions league too?) then you must have a decent squad already.

If so, I'd wonder does he really add much - he's good but certainly not world class (very low passing for an AP). If you've got a lot of money in the bank than you can probably afford to spend on a player you like.

But I can't seem him taking your team to the next level.

When I am looking to sign an established player I look at four things, firstly can I afford him? If I can afford his fee potential wages including bonuses then I go to the next one which is. Do I need him? I look at my whole squad to see if I really need him. Next is will he improve my team? Again I might have a young player who is better than player x. Finally I look at if he will make me any money in the future? I have a high turnover every year because I am quite ruthless with my squad, most players aged 28 get sold for insane profits so I try not to by anyone aged between 26 and 27 as they will never repay my investment.