How do you guys effectively rotate teams to keep everyone happy?

thorton

Reaction score
I dont have a huge squad but i find myself leaning towards playing one starting eleven every match and i generally get 4-5 people handing in transfer requests at the end of the season because i dont rotate effectively.

This is my squad:

hyusz.png

As you can see ive resorted to even sending out the likes of Ashley Cole (old, but still useful as a backup) to my affiliate club alongside a few other quality players, simply because i cant find space for them in the team - but i dont want to sell them because i want a bit of depth to the squad.

Does anyone have an effective way to rotate squad to keep everyone happy?

You give your players 15-20 minutes in games at a regular basis like u pause the game and check to see if their is a player in ur starting 11 wo is short of fitness or tired and replace them and also allow your fringe players to play in thw Domestis Cups and try to give ur back-ups a game here and their or a few minutes here and there in the Premiere League

What ive always done is change the fullbacks in one game against a team 12th or lower at home and then in another game change your wingers just be sensible and dont change the core of your team just one or two players at a time

i try to give my backups opportunities in gaems i should comfortably win or the game before what i class as a big tie. e.g. the game before we play in europe i will remove maybe my best 3-4 players and put them on the bench and replacing them with backups. also i try to make subs every match and rotate the bench rather then over rotating my starting 11.

i try to give my backups opportunities in gaems i should comfortably win or the game before what i class as a big tie. e.g. the game before we play in europe i will remove maybe my best 3-4 players and put them on the bench and replacing them with backups. also i try to make subs every match and rotate the bench rather then over rotating my starting 11.

Pretty much I do, I don't really change my starting eleven much but I do make subs often.

My personal rule of thumb is to have 2 players who can reasonably compete at each position. If I don't feel good about giving ANY of my players a start in a typical match, then they aren't good enough to be in the club (unless they are youth obviously). That doesn't mean I go and sign the best 25 players in the world but if my coach rates a backup less than 3 stars I'll probably try to pick up somebody a little better. Look for backups who are good deals but still have solid, all-around stats (12-14 in most relevant attributes without any glaring weaknesses), MrHough's player filters that he included with his 3 striker tactic are good imo but any sensible set of filters will probably do.

I still have my preferred XI and some of my guys are better than others obviously, but I try to get my club well-rounded enough that all my backups can get at least 10 starting appearances per season, at the very minimum, without dragging my team down. Competition for first choice is most likely a factor in FM, there are too many hints about that in the game to assume otherwise, so your best players will play better with a quality backup pushing them.

The bottom line, you can keep your squad healthy and happy during a long season by replacing players you can't trust with better players, and rotate in 1-2 players in every game except the absolute most important ones. I wouldn't suggest just subbing guys in at the 80th minute as their only first team football, they will not get match fit and you will never gain confidence in them (and they will probably get unhappy anyway).

You got Mario Balotelli to sign for Huddersfield Town? WOW. Back to the topic, Well, I usually try to start my regular starting 11 for 3-4 games in a row and then give my reserves a game in between. But my general rule is that no one in the starting line-up should have a fitness level less than 90%. Based on that I rotate my side.

cheers guys, ive brought in a couple more players to cover for more positions (mainly defenders) and got a couple of young players to loan out who i can recall if needs be to cover if there is an injury crisis.

ive started to keep my starting 11 in from the game before and swapping around a couple of players who are tired, or if there arent any tired players just rotating a couple anyway depending on who im playing, and everything seems to be going ok now - its just real awkward to keep up with whos made how many appearances to make sure everyone gets their fair share.

You got Mario Balotelli to sign for Huddersfield Town? WOW. Back to the topic, Well, I usually try to start my regular starting 11 for 3-4 games in a row and then give my reserves a game in between. But my general rule is that no one in the starting line-up should have a fitness level less than 90%. Based on that I rotate my side.

i got balotelli for relatively cheap off fulham, because of his confrontational nature hes been unhappy at various clubs throughout my career as ive been keeping track of him, and hes been pinging from club to club over the years (huddersfields reputation has also improved a LOT over the years, with multiple training enhancements and stuff and also the fact that im lying 1st in the EPL so far this most recent season!). ive got him in check atm though, hes got superb morale, happy at the club, im one of his favoured personnel and other players seem to be getting on well with him! (which is quite strange for balotelli lol)

he IS on £110,000 a week alongside smithies and gameiro so he takes up a nice chunk of my wages alongside them two (who both have match highest earner clauses which i didnt realise when i signed mario :/ - this has made it IMPOSSIBLE to sell gameiro now because of his obscene wages, and he just doesnt seem to be fitting in with my starting 11 because of jorge cánario and joao both being very good strikers - with balotelli, abeid and scanell all being strikers too its hard to fit gameiro in - even if he is on stupid wages :/

Last edited:
I have a rule, if a players condition is lower than 94% i rest them. This means everyone in the squad gets some match time.

What also helps sometime is to put players not in the B squad right away. Just keep them in your first team and thick the option 'available for reserves'. This keep most of players happy. Less nagging about not being in your plans.

i have my main 17 players for most prem league games and difficult champ league games then i have another 17 man squad made up of fringe players and good youth players who play all domestic cup games as well as easy prem games and easier champ league games seems to work pretty well only 3 transfer requests in 9 seasons

I have a rule, if a players condition is lower than 94% i rest them. This means everyone in the squad gets some match time.

might give this a go, not sure if my squad is big enough thougj, especially now im qualifying for CL year in year out so im having 4 games in 10 days a lot of the time due to all the different cups

What also helps sometime is to put players not in the B squad right away. Just keep them in your first team and thick the option 'available for reserves'. This keep most of players happy. Less nagging about not being in your plans.

only problem with this is i dont have a reserves team! my squad isnt big enough lol

i have my main 17 players for most prem league games and difficult champ league games then i have another 17 man squad made up of fringe players and good youth players who play all domestic cup games as well as easy prem games and easier champ league games seems to work pretty well only 3 transfer requests in 9 seasons

ill give this a go too when my team gets big enough

can i Ask you what tactic are you using to get huddersfield in the prem. can u gives us some details about the tactic with some screenshots

for the first few seasons i used a 4-3-1-2 with the mids and forwards like this:

Poacher - Poacher

Adv. Playmaker (or inside forward depending whos fit for the match)

Box to Box support - Centre mid (defend) - Box to Box support

im now using a 4-2-3-1 like in my OP, with an alternate formation of 4-2-3-1 deep (same as OP but with 2 DM's instead of CM's) with the two wide players as inside forwards and the striker as a poacher - and using short passing through the middle and fluid/expressive/roaming to full - if im losing at half time ill make is the complete opposite (very rigid, disciplined and stick to position) and show anger to people <6 rating, and question passion or say the clubs pride is at stake - that usually spurs them on to turn the game around (obviously if its possible, not even worth trying against the likes of real madrid/barca) - ive turned my team round numerous times from losing 2-0 to winning 6-2 with team-talks and changing fluidity and creative freedom - its amazing how much of a difference they make... the biggest example of this is shalke in the CL last season, was 0-1 down at half time, won 8-1 in the end... ill post a pic of the scoreline later when im home from work but i cant get into the match report due to it being last season.

just found a pic of a game on my hard drive that ive turned around magnificently:

HsxYj.png

ill post some proper pics of my formation later if you want

Last edited:
just found a pic of a game on my hard drive that ive turned around magnificently:

HsxYj.png

ill post some proper pics of my formation later if you want

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

That is brilliant result mate, although in my opinion Arsenal are a bit easy in this game. Not taking anything away from you result or anything.

That is brilliant result mate, although in my opinion Arsenal are a bit easy in this game. Not taking anything away from you result or anything.

cheers, although ive found them quite the opposite! the first few seasons in the prem i couldnt beat arsenal to save my life - every game they slaughtered me 3 or 4 - 0, and only for the last couple of seasons have i managed to beat them! they bought all the quality players like dzeko, hazard, serjio asenjo and the likes - they have an unstoppable team for a few seasons.

Could you upload the tactic and tell us more about it like pitch size match prep team talk etc thanks

I think that the important is have trust in all players you choose for the season.

The rotation, in my opinion, must be in the cup games when I will front bad teams. I normally give oportunity to 2 or 3 players who plays well for the reserve/youth team and to the first team players who plays less.

In the regular games, when player have below 6.5 of rating (or two games below 6.7) I give a chance to a player who should be a backup player and many times.... it works well!