How do you handle Liverpool exactly?

Bowen91

Reaction score
It's an interesting question, as they seemed to have a major drop on the game compared to FM 13, I'm just curious how people manage them, especially within the first couple of seasons. The only change I made (call it cheating if you like) is increase the transfer budget at the beginning of the game to 30 million. But I'm interested to see how people use them. Do they bring in as many new faces as they can to improve the squad or do they build the tactics around the current squad in order to get the best out the players that are currently in the squad, and how do you carry that through to the second season.

1st Season:- Implemented 3 different formations, my usual 4-2-3(wide)-1; 5-3-2 with attacking full backs, and then a rarely used tactic which was very similar to my original tactic where you'd see the AMC be moved to sit in the centre of midfield.

Goalkeeping:- In past saves (well before I spilt drink on my old laptop), I noticed Liverpool loved to concede goals, so this was a major issue. Thought the Mignolet/Jones combination could be improved, but wasn't sure how until I got offered Tim Wiese. Thought he could solve the problem a little and ended up being my number 1 for the season, didn't do as well as I thought, but I think he was a slight improvement on Mignolet who was relegated to the bench until I brought Jason Steele in January where he came surplus.

Defensive:- Tried something different again here, usually loan Jon Flanagan out, but with the 5-3-2 formation, I thought I'd keep him in there more as injury cover, however he did go out on loan as I did end up signing full backs in Callum Chambers and Sead Kolasovic. Also brought in wonderkid Doria because I know he is more than capable of doing a job straight away and did keep Skrtel and Sakho out the squad for the majority of the season.

Midfield:- This was one area, I didn't think I needed to improve much upon, as Liverpool do have a decent midfield. Only saw me add Lucas Romero into this, and that was just as back-up/looking to the future. Steven Gerrard was brilliant as ever getting to the 15 mark with goals. In order to add a bit of depth, I loaned in Younes Belhanda from Dynamo Kiev, but as I said, it was depth and he only saw 10 games.

Strikers:- Suarez was my main striker, but with me planning more often than not to play with 1 striker, I thought I could survive with Sturridge and Aspas, but with a big injury to Sturridge in the second game, saw me bring in Danny Ings. He had a great impact off the bench, scoring braces on 3/4 occasions, but really seemed to struggle when starting, whether as the loan striker or alongside suarez.

I finished the season in third and got offered a new contract, but this is where I'm really interested to see what people did. The summer of the second season, did people try and build on the current squad, or did they have a major overhaul? So far I'm 3 out of 3 after having a complete change of the squad, mainly focusing on weak areas and youth.

Ins:- Lescott, Barry (Frees); Volland (12.75); Murru (2.6); Zieler (13.5); Batschuayi (6.75); Zouma (27); Shaw (39); Samyn - Regen (350k); Stocker (9); Morrison (7.5)

Outs:- Lucas (33.5); Robinson (1.8); Skrtel (3.3); Suarez (50); Reina (7.5); Borini (2.7); Mignolet (3); Aspas (4.3); Sakho (4.8); Kolasinac (4.6); Ilori (2.1); Wiese (500k); Allen (5.25)

I've tried to get rid of a lot of dead wood/high wage earners, as you can see wasn't too bothered about the selling prices (bar Lucas and Suarez) but alot of them were on high wages for their role (15k for Ilori?) that was my major concern. Works out that I've still received more than I've spent.

So does anyone take this route or do some players welcome the likes of Reina and Borini back into the squad and just improve around the team?

Second season was harder then first for me, especially in the first half, I finished 5th at the end. Champions league was better, I've lost on away goals in the quarter finals to ManUtd.
For the transfers Ive got:
-Valdes on free is world class GK
-Balanta best CB at the end of the season
-Lamela my star signing, didnt played very well, but he has improved now in the third season
- other signing Ive made were for depth

I found Liverpool much easier to manage in this years version, I finished 1st in my first season by 9 points, whereas in FM13 I finished 5th and then 3rd the following year.

Didn't make any first team changes in the first season, the signings I made were just to add depth rather than strengthen.
Just started my second season now, and I've offloaded quite a few players. Papadopolous was brought in to replace Skrtel, Bender for Lucas and Kurzawa for Enrique. My first choice was Luke Shaw but he wouldn't open negotiations. Luca Antonelli is purely for backup, I terminated Cissokho's loan in the first season and brought in Antonelli who was great, finished the season with an average rating of 7.37 so signed him up on a free when his loan expired.

I noticed you sold Sakho, was he not any good for you? He was class for me in the first season, in 36 apps he scored 11 goals and had an average rating of 7.48.

View attachment 390321View attachment 390320