How do you perform this kind of movement in FM?

mourinho88

Reaction score
first of all, im kinde newb to this game so please be nice to me =D

I've made some simple picture about fullback movements. barcelona have this movement performed all the time by messi and daniel alves.

i dont know how to perform this in football manager.

please anyone help?

Note:
Red Circle is your team.
Blue Circle is enemy defender.
Red Arrow is player movement.
Black arrow is ball passing.

1. Cuts inside and then pass

Pg6Sv.png

i have my winger set to cut inside in his wideplay and fullback set to attack. the winger does the cut inside but he ignores the fullback and went crossing or shooting.

2. Make a room

9dTE8.png

i have tried my winger to 'roam for position' or 'move into channels' and still have no idea how to perform this.

sorry for my bad english =D

Last edited:
hey sorry cant relly make head or tails of the diagram, can you mark whos the full back anf wose the winger, and also the direction of the pitch?

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

are you trying to make your winger come inside and have the full back attack on the overlap?

I presume you mean the "overlap."

You can just make for direct slow passing.

This way, the other team will heap pressure on the guy with the ball and he can just take his time but let off a accurate long pass to a teammate that the opposing defender has not picked up.

The CPU do it to me all the time, bastards.

Focus passing must be for the flanks.

Wingers need to cut inside and not cross from byline so make them inside forwards.

Full backs should be on the wingback setting, so forward runs often,run with ball often and cross often.They should cross from byline and tick hug touchline on the wide play option.

Make sure your not playing with a primary playmaker or target man or the wingers will try and pass to him instead of looking for the overlap.

hey sorry cant relly make head or tails of the diagram, can you mark whos the full back anf wose the winger, and also the direction of the pitch?

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

are you trying to make your winger come inside and have the full back attack on the overlap?

i've changed the picture mate.

yes i tried to make him cuts inside and pass the ball to the overlapping fullback. but he never do that and went crossing or shooting instead.

try this. the winger are set to come inside alonside the FC while the full backs get very wide. it effectively gives you a five man attack in the final third with a 6th man supporting

as jpsays you wanna exploits the flanks, but remember the choice to pass it wide comes down to his decision stats. if hes a bad decision maker **** cut inside when he should pass, or pass when he should cut inside

Last edited:
try this. the winger are set to come inside alonside the FC while the full backs get very wide. it effectively gives you a five man attack in the final third with a 6th man supporting

as jpsays you wanna exploits the flanks, but remember the choice to pass it wide comes down to his decision stats. if hes a bad decision maker **** cut inside when he should pass, or pass when he should cut inside

im gonna give it a try. thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Focus passing must be for the flanks.

Wingers need to cut inside and not cross from byline so make them inside forwards.

Full backs should be on the wingback setting, so forward runs often,run with ball often and cross often.They should cross from byline and tick hug touchline on the wide play option.

Make sure your not playing with a primary playmaker or target man or the wingers will try and pass to him instead of looking for the overlap.

im gonna give it a try.

seems like FM are too patterned to perform real life tactic, eh?

i mean in real life, even a low skilled player will obviously pass to the full back so he can have a clear cross. am i right?

im gonna give it a try. thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

im gonna give it a try.

seems like FM are too patterned to perform real life tactic, eh?

i mean in real life, even a low skilled player will obviously pass to the full back so he can have a clear cross. am i right?
use the play wider shout with it. and your best tackling mid is in the ball winning mid support position

Also try putting wingers on support and fullbacks on attack,this will increase overlaps.

I use this strategy very commonly in my Sheffield Utd save.
Full backs: Run from deep - Often
Cross ball - Often
Cross from - Byline
Winger: Wide play - Cut inside
Long shots - rarely
Run with ball - medium
Cross ball - rarely
And set focus passing to 'Both the flanks'

Similar strategy for the second movement!
Cheers!!!