How do you play FM?

• Total voters

Figaro

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just witnessed a very interesting discussion between Will1981 and other folks in Will1981's testing thread and it's a shame that Will1981 deleted it :'( because I think that it was a very important discussion.

Will1981 said that when he plays the real game he uses "Quick Pick" to pick the team before every match so he tests tactics the same way and as he said it's the best way to simulate the real game environment.

I myself don't use "Quick Pick" to pick the team because it doesn't rotate my team properly and very often it picks unsuited players for my tactic, I pick the team myself and try to rotate it such way to keep all players in the first team happy and their Match Sharpness at least about 85-90%.

I wonder how most people play FM? Please spend few seconds and answer the poll.

Thank you! :)

I see that Will1981 deleted the thread where we were discussing it so I'll repost it here... ;)

Here's a list of reasons why you want to rotate the team yourself and try to keep the match sharpness of all players in the first team as high as possible.

1) For important matches you can use your "fresh" best players and if their conditions are even slightly higher than the conditions of the opposition players then you’ll get a solid additional advantage above your opponent.

2) If your team plays in Champions League or Euro League and you want to do good in these competitions and also in your domestic league then you need to use about 18-20 players during the season to achieve that.

3) When injuries happen then you can replace the injured players with players that have 100% Match Sharpness and you don’t to use players that have about 50% Match Sharpness and play like a piece of **** until they reach 100% Match Sharpness.

Btw, you can check how AI teams play and you'll see that they rotate their team and try to keep the Match Sharpness of all players in first team close to 100% and AI teams do that not because of injuries

Last edited:
I use quick pick and just rotate as and when, and with an eye on upcoming fixtures.

When testing I only use quick pick and TBH it makes very little difference to results, but not so good for squad management.

Sometimes you can play with a player with an orange injury not match fit and they are POM.

In testing I use fitness coach to freeze morale and condition and then pick the best team possible for the tactic I am testing. I will make sure all author's instructions are followed with regards to what type of player on each wing etc. I use the same 11 for all test games. If I used quick pick then the results of the test would be unbalanced as the assistant manager chooses players based match sharpness, condition and if all these are equal, then another algorithmn which we are not privvy to.

In my actual save, I never use quick pick, I pick my strongest starting 11 and then save the selection. I then pick my second 11 and again save the selection. I will then rotate between the two selections and only change due to suspensions, injuries etc. For instance I always use my second 11 for Capital one and FA cup games and first 11 for Premier League and Champions League/Europa league.

I always use quick pick when playing a real save.

Will1981, you entitled to play the way you want to but when you test tactics this way and say that it’s the best way to test because it simulates the real game environment the best then it's not true...

Just look at the results of the poll... very few people play the way as you play and most of people don't use Quick Pick to pick the team, they manually pick the team, rotate it to keep all players happy and match fit. Also, they pick players that suite to the tactic and they don't rely on dumb Quick Pick. :)