How Exactly do you Improve a Team after Winning the Treble?

Versaty1e

Reaction score
Chelsea. Second season in. Re-developed the squad with some shrewd buys and sells and coaching the life out of the team. They're performing well above expectations and won the league by 3 points, the FA Cup, and the Champion's League over Bayern Munich.

So I firmly believe in refreshing the squad year in and year out to improve and change competition for spots. Which is why I'm shocked I won the treble with a good squad. Just looking to sell 1, maybe two players, and bring in 1 new first team player and a few youngsters. Current treble winning squad:

Cech
Courtois

Montoya
Vrsaljko
Chalobah
Terry
Cahill
Luiz
Cole
Bertrand

Mikel
Romeu
Essien
Lampard
Miereles
Ramires
McEachran
Afellay

De Bruyne
Mata
Willian
Sturridge
Griezmann
Torres
Lukaku

Players returning from loan: Bruma, Kakuta, Delac, Lalkovic, Kalas

So there are strong youth prospects coming through the ranks. I usually adopt a 4-3-3 for home matches and a 4-2-3-1 with a Defensive Midfielder and Ball Winning Midfielder to play more cautiously away from home. Lukaku banged in 71 goals in all competitions.

I don't have long term targets at the moment. Chalobah is my natural Terry replacement, De Bruyne is looking like my Lampard replacement, and I need to find a solid left back in one to two years to replace Cole's quality. All are still key players and have no signs of decline or retirement in sight. I regret spending £20m on Griezmann when I have Kakuta coming back but, to be fair, he did well as Mata's understudy on the Left Wing.

I don't want to try and force people out of the club who don't want to leave, but I have to leave 1-2 players unregistered for Champions League matches because my squad lacks a few home grown players. I have to wait until some of my U21s earn HG status. I'm poaching regens like I normally do as well for development. Any input on this would be very much appreciated.

try n develop bertrand he becomes really good...sell montoya u can convert bruma 2 be ur backup RB n he'll do a good job n surely betta dan montoya

15/16 year old regens all the way mate, like you say in the post you seem to have a lot of natural successors waiting in the wings for 2/3 seasons down the line so I'd start thinking about the next generation of understudies.

I wouldn't do too much actually mate, you will only upset the balance of your squad. I would reccomend purchasing a world class RB. One thing you could do is build a strong youth team, that in the future, will become world class players. There are links available on the forums and player discussions.

Good luck, JS.

I did the treble with Real in FM11. Won everything at a canter. Signed Neymar, Fabregas and Llorente and won everything again following season. The only way I could improve was to buy Xavi, and Messi which let's face it was never gonna happen! Had a load of young kids lined up ready for their breakthrough but average age of squad was only about 25 so had years left. Decided to resign on a high and seek a new challenge as couldn't really progress anywhere in the short term.

the only way i think u can improve is to just sign or develop the regens/hot prospects

i usually just end up buying world class players and strengthening my squad. i'm guessing you have money to spend so get rid of the deadwood and get in Hazard/Gotze..players of that calibre. and also, make plans for the future. start scouting for regens..and sign the best 15-16 year olds there are. :D then make yourself the richest in the world, then get yourself to #1 on the managerial hall of fame. then quit save and give yourself a challenge. cheers :D