How I Destroyed barcelona 7-2 Counter attacking tactic

dbs86

Reaction score
After the first leg of my champions league quarter final against barcelona i was 4-2 down but had 2 vital away goals, I knew I couldnt just sit back if I needed to make up the 2 goal defeceit but even at home taking the attacking route against barcelona can be dangerous so I figured i would give my counter attacking tactic a go but with a few changes to counter barcelonas play style.

Barcelonas two central midfielders I feel are key to their system even more so than messi as there forward running and passing are what feed messi and create all the chances barcelona make. barcelona dont play with an AMC because the two CM run into the space infront of the defence and exploit the space created by messi's running and dropping deep.

So how did I counter this threat?

Simple move the 2 DM's in my current counter attacking tactic up into the CM role and make them both Box to Box midfielders, I came to this conclusion as i figured if my CM's stayed as DM's that would be leaving 2 much space for the barcelona CM's to run into and also when i had the ball they wouldnt be high enough up the pitch to do anything except make themselves available for a backwards pass from my AMC, poacher or wingers, which isnt really a good idea against barcelona.

By making them box to box midfielders the logic was when in defence they would be dropping back to the edge of my area and screening the area from the barcelona CM's by marking their zone and therefore the player in their zone. Once the attack breaks down and I have recovered possesion they break forward to support the attack with late runs from deep which draw the barcelona CM's back into their own half covering their man, resulting in messi being left isolated up top as I had one of my DC's man marking messi and the other one in a covering role using zonal marking performing the dual roles of sweeping up and through balls into the box played into space and picking up any late runners into the box i felt i had messi locked up.

ultimately it worked and i won 7-2 6 of the goals were scored by Iker muniain in a poacher role in a game where he out messi'ed messi. but i feel if not for my two box to box midfielders it wouldnt have worked in addition to them i had an AMC as an attacking midfielder with support so that when defending he also drops deeper to help defend and as my playmaker to get the ball and initiate a quick counter attack. the 2 wingers also has a support duty and were set to stay wide to allow muniain more space around the box to do his thing, most of his goals were him getting a pass turning and running at the barcelona defence then slotting the ball past valdes

ill post some screens a highlights reel and the tactic so you guys can all have a play with it if you feel you need a good counter attacking tactic, I will say it isnt a finished tactic as i like to tinker quite a bit but since switching it from rigid to balanced i feel it is now a viable tactic so much so that i feel i might start using it as my main tactic as i feel it could be devestating against lesser teams.

View attachment 291514View attachment 291515View attachment 291516View attachment 291517View attachment 291518[video=youtube;y33DRsqNYmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y33DRsqNYmY[/video]

ive never uploaded a tactic before but have submitted it for approval i will link it if its work its called 4-5-1 basque counter

Nice analysis and result. If Mourinho leaves RM I nominate you to take over lol.

what pitch size ? is there any oi's it looks amazing ive watched the video the movement is exellent and is it poss you could link the tactic to the thread?

Looks nice. :D Will you be posting the tactic? Wanna give this a try with Atletico. If Muniain can be that beast in this tactic, imagine what Falcao could do? Haha.

Thanks to kjellemann23 for linking the tactic, for those who asked i dont use any shouts, pitch size is standard ( i think) and as for opposition instructions i asked my assisstant to do that but if i remember it was show onto weaker foot and always closing down on the striker and CM's and possibly on the DMC and wingers as well plus i told the left CB to man mark messi with tight marking while the right CB has cover role and zonal marking, i dont know if anyone else has tried that combo on their CB's but it has worked wonders for me although when the other team has two strikers i have to man mark both and then i miss out on the covering defender sweeping up all the through balls played into the box,

I cant wait for results and table details:) looks good

ive only really used the version i linked in that game as its been tinkered with quite a bit, it worked against barcelona but thats coz they attack and sit so high up the pitch not sure how well it would do against lesser opposition, Ive mainly been using a possession style tactic using both a false nine and false ten in home games and away against lesser teams this counter tactic is used mainly against the big boys home or away.

Looks nice. :D Will you be posting the tactic? Wanna give this a try with Atletico. If Muniain can be that beast in this tactic, imagine what Falcao could do? Haha.

yea falcao would pwn playing in muniains place he always scores against me though i might try him as a complete forward instead of poacher as he is a more rounded striker than muniain, muniain isnt even a natural striker but he plays there like he is

im useing this with west brom i have made a slight tweak instead of counter i have put it to attacking and i have got shane long scoring for fun he is on 7 goals in 3 league games its a brilliant tactic well done mate

im useing this with west brom i have made a slight tweak instead of counter i have put it to attacking and i have got shane long scoring for fun he is on 7 goals in 3 league games its a brilliant tactic well done mate

nice one! i use a different tactic for attacking but yea with all the space created it must work quite well shane long is exactly the sort of striker you need as well fast and a good dribbler bet he runs at the defence for fun.

Hello dbs86, if I may ....
But the defense to man is not a little old-fashioned?
Have you tried with the zone defense?
Sorry for my English school but I write with google translator

Hello dbs86, if I may ....
But the defense to man is not a little old-fashioned?
Have you tried with the zone defense?
Sorry for my English school but I write with google translator

not tried it with zonal marking as i felt as its mainly a counter attacking tactic it would be better if i used man marking that way each player marks their man and then once the ball is won via a tackle or interception the counter attack can start. the RCB has zonal marking set as most teams in spain play with 1 central striker so zonal marking coupled with a covering duty and slightly lower mentality means he sits deeper and sweeps up through balls and also picks up the midfield runner if there is one, it helps if this defender is quite fast as they can get around easier, its almost a sweeper role but in the CB position, i find this works quite well and the player i play there borja ekiza is being touted as a pick for the spain squad by the in game media, not that he will get picked though but i find this set up works quite well watching matches hes always cutting stuff out then laying it off to a midfielder to build an attack