How important are experienced players in certain games?

ajh-1992

Reaction score
I was just wondering, how much more important are experienced players in games such as intense rival matches, or difficult away European games?

For example, I've got an away trip to Spartak Moscow coming up in the ECC... which in real life could potentially be a very tricky game (considering the atmosphere, artificial pitch and the weather etc) and I was just wondering how/if this is carried over into FM and whether putting out a more experienced side than normal would be of benefit to me?

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: Played the game, it turned out to be quite a thriller.

Last edited:
Experienced mixed in with youth players is always a good combination.

I always feel when I bring on a youth player to make a difference he does so, so if I was you I'd start with some experience, and if it's not working entrust your youth with a run out.

Experienced mixed in with youth players is always a good combination.

That's how I usually play, but I've got a fairly young back four at the minute (I'm in Nov 2015, my GK is 22 (Areola), DR is 21 (Romario), DL is 25 (Contento) and I have two regen DC's who are both 19 (they both have 3* ability and 4* potential at the minute)... Obviously that's a VERY young defence and I have one or two older players which I could mix in with them... I have a few older players elsewhere in my team (Lavezzi is 30, Montolivo is 30 & both are in my first XI)

Players I could potentially include:

Frey (35)
Gamberini (34)
Vargas (32)

Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

what team are you ?

I'm Fiorentina in 2015.

play Experience 1st, Gamberini is old and slow, but if you playing against a Tall striker, he would be good, pair him up with your regen who is quick to Cover for him as well....

the older the player gets (well good ones) the better their Mental Attributes get, so of course they would be better in decision making and concentration etc :)

I do believe that older players are essential in games :) play Montolivo and Vargas (it also depends how many games they have played throughout the season... match fitness etc etc)

I would play my more experienced backline (incl Frey) and have some good experience in the middle and use quick young wingers... depends on how you play as well...