how long do you perservere with a tactic...

thfc1983

Reaction score
until you decide its simply not going to work, I thought id made myself a good tactic when i beat the 3rd place team in the league away 3-0 only to lose at home with the same tactic 6-3 to a team near the bottom, just cant work fm tactics out

Played 6 seasons without changing the tactic in any way. could've gone longer, but got tired of the save. No idea why it is the way it is.

it is a tricky business mate, you either have to tweak a tactic every game you play (like completely revamp it to attack the opponents weak areas) or you create a tactic through trial and error until you have a good basis...

once you have the base you can individually edit players roles/positions etc and tweak them to the players strengths that will take up that role in your formation.

pitch dimensions play a part as you dont want to be playing a wide attacking 4-4-2 on a narrow 64m pitch...

what you can do is identify your best 3/4 players and create a tactic around them, try invisage how you want your team to play... short/slow, fast/direct, pressing/man marking, zonal/step off opponents.

teamtalks are also important when it comes to pre-game motivation which can assist your players.. touchline shouts should be taken advantage of in certain situations as well...

why dont you try download a tactic from here and use it as your base and edit it to your liking from there to make it sort of into your own?

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ng/55801-raikan007s-perfect-4-4-2-tactic.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ng/65421-raikan007s-perfect-4-3-3-tactic.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...raikan007s-perfect-4-3-1-2-a.html#post1242641
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...14-raikan007s-perfect-4-2-3-1-amc-tactic.html

I agree with everythign Raikan says here, another approach might be to download a couple of tactics that are both successful in their own right (ie lots of people have tested them and they get good results) AND they fit with a way you want to play... then download it - create a save, play with it all pre-season, get it fluid, and watch and learn what it does and how / why. THEN start to teak it to suit your players. I would then go on to try and create my own tactic based on those learnings.

I really don't recommend switching out tactics halfway through a season...

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Oh yes another thing i totally recommend is wathcing a few games in full - or at least extended at the very least - to really get an idea of how your team are playing. TBH I think too few people actually watch the implications of their managerial actions ;)

Oh yes another thing i totally recommend is wathcing a few games in full - or at least extended at the very least - to really get an idea of how your team are playing. TBH I think too few people actually watch the implications of their managerial actions ;)

This !!

Its the single most important part of the game. If you dont know why the tactics work the way they do, its impossible to tweak it when you see that something is wrong

I spent a better part of 6 seasons tweaking my tactic.

You have to be almost scientific about it. Analyze what you do well and what you don't do well and make small tweaks over a couple games to turn weakness into strength.

Big changes are a no-no as 1. You could throw off your teams playing style and 2. You may have made a big change in the wrong direction and have to double your effort to see the result you intended.

i went 4 season straight with my 4-2-3-1 tactic. its right now tried with my other tactic 4-2-4 in th same 4 year duration, but now going into my 5yr with that 4-2-4 formation.
i only tweak teh postions roles, and the team setup.

I also run two formations.

The secondary one is good for pushing players up for a late goal or for counter attacking football. It compliments my current formation that is more narrow and controlled.

I usually go to it when the other team says that they know how I'm going to play (and it's a stronger team). If a weak team knows how I'm going to play, it won't matter because I'll just bully them.

I have a set of three formations that I use, I make my team fluid in all of them, and I swap between them for different games, and in-game circumstances. It's a very successful approach. You can't use the same formation every game if you ask me, it gets ****** boring for one thing...