How long for a player to learn a new role.

MAHayward

Reaction score
As the title says. Ive bought a 19yr Brazilian that FM has created. He already has great skills. I'm playing as Leeds in my 4th Season, 3rd in Prem. I only had Steve Morrison as a striker in my squad so i thought id buy young players and train them up. I like playing with my strikers role as a Complete Forward, which Morrison was and became my top goalscorer for a couple of seasons. Now with this new kid his best ST position is poacher. But like i said i want him to be a CF. So Ive set up an individual focus training plan to Complete Forward. But of course hes not going to learn how to play that role in one day. And when i played him up front in my 4-2-3-1 formation as a CF he wasn't getting anywhere with it. So i swapped him to a Poacher and next 4 matches hes scored 3 goals.

Is the best way to get them to learn a new position having them play in the role they already know (in this case poacher) and in the background have him train as a Complete Forward.

Generally speaking, you can improve all aspects of your players game in training, but they will see the best rises in stats thy are naturally adept at. you can't turn a limited defender into a ball playing one. If they don't clearly have the potential (ie, the stats) to become another type of role, it won't happen.

complete forward should not be regarded as a "role" though

its just every attribute highlighted as a forward...

This.

The player does not learn a specific role but only focus that little bit extra on the attributes considered more important for that specific role. It might be that it will never be his best role since some of the stats raised might also make him even better in his current best role. With this said, just have a look at his highlighted stats for the role you want him to play and make up your mind to see if the are, or will be good enough.

That is very true. Thinking about it Poacher is a great role to use because all they really concentrate on is scoring goals.

Complete Forward training works I think if you generally want to make a player better in attacking duties. Sometimes I use that one season then choose between p/dlf etc sometimes I then train specific attributes for a season ...

You should be able to have them learn a completely new role. If you can teach a CB to become a ST then you should be able to change which roles they play best under.

You should be able to have them learn a completely new role. If you can teach a CB to become a ST then you should be able to change which roles they play best under.

But they dont " know roles", they know positions on the field. The roles just means what they are best suited for. Here, its where their ppms comes in. If you want a player to become better and master the role of a Trequartista better ( apart form the stats), then the ppms "come deep "instead of gets forward is better etc etc.