CaptainYid

Reaction score
just out of curiosity on this one... how many players (in each position and entire first team) do you guys have? im thinking more of a premiership side with champions league. but id be interested in finding out how many you got in lower leagues too

I tend to have a small squad of quality players that i can change without having to rely on my first team players.

2 Gk's
2 Fullback's
3 Cb's (Normally they can play either Rb/Lb)
3 Wingers (Most can play Left/Right)
3 Cm's
3 Strikers

That's what I like to have then just 4/5 extra for cover.

what about youth players? would one be part of say your 3 strikers? or would you have him on the side as extra and give him a game or two when you feel is right?

3 gks: 1 nailed on number one, one up and comer (made available 4 reserves) and one older experienced pro as backup.

4 full backs: all either already play or are to trined to play as LB/RB. 2 first chocie, 2 youngsters as back up

4 centre backs. 3 first choicers and one youngster.

1 utility defender. billy jones/john oshea type. plays accross the back 4 comfortably.

3 defensivly mided CMs and 3 attack minded CMs. 2 experienced players and one youngster for each type.

4 wingers, able to play on either flank. 3 experienced 1 youngster.

4 strikers. 2 experienced 2 youngsters.

and someone who can play anywhere, Brek Shea, i always buy him.

versatility helps, and often my wingers attack cms and even strikers can play in a few different positions.

a 22 player squad with around 14 players who are able to cover more than 1 position. im everton btw

2 GK
2RB
2LB
4CB
2LW
2RW
4CM
4/5ST
All of this depends on the formation I play of course. Don't like to have too big a squad and tend to have youthful sides, with a small mix of experience (often only have 3/4 players over 30).
Then I will sign a few youngsters and throw them in the reserves or loan them out to someone. After each season before buying anyone I will check my reserves and see if anyone merits being put into the senior squad. That's when I am a big side or have made a small side into a big side. In LLM it is much more diffucult obviously :p

i like to have one player extra for each position, Cm and Cb i prefer to have 3 though and then some youths to play like maybe 2-5 maximum for a big team though!

I too like a small squad that's easy to keep happy.

Mostly, one competent backup for each position that I can rotate without loosing quality.
I prefer slightly weaker players that can cover more than one position over better but limited players.

Off course I like a good pool of youngsters that I can leave in my youth team or send on loan (with recall option).
Always, always ALWAYS have good youth players.

I usually have:
2GK - 1 stars + 1 youngster
3CB - 2 stars + 1 youngster
2RB - 1 star + 1 youngster
2LB - 1 star + 1 youngster
2LW - 1 star + 1 youngster
2RW - 1 star + 1 youngster
2CM - 1 star + 1 youngster
2DM - 1 star + 1 youngster
3ST - 2 stars + 1 youngster

I just rotate the team so they all get decent playing time, but its all representative of the pecking order for their position. E.g at man utd, Rooney gets preference over Berbatov because of his age, then berbatov over Welbeck and put Macheda on loan

I like to have two players for each position in my squad but also most of my players can also cover in different positions.

I usually opt for a regular starting 11, with 11 "second-team" players who I would trust to play long-term (if needed). Then i usually have 1 of each area (GK, DEF, MID, ATT) youngster in my first team, but available for the reserves. That way, I can concentrate on progressing the youngsters, and also have good cover for the first team.

However, that totally depends on who you are managing, the youth palyers available and the transfer budget available.

i have quite a large squad but thats mixed up with potential youngsters and quality stars i usually make sure i have youngsters playing with the big boys so they can get first team practice

It depends a bit on the formation I'm using but usually something like this:
2 keepers. One starts every match the other is either a talented youngster or an experienced oldie.
2 left-backs and 2 right-backs. Usually quite similar players.
2 cb's as first choice defenders and 2 versatile defenders who can play in different positions.
2 or 3 defensive midfielders that can play CM too.
4 wingers who can offer different attacking options. Either a player who cuts in or someone who can make pinpoint crosses.
3 strikers. A strong guy who can play as a target man, some technical brazilian and a fast player who can usually play as a winger or amc too.
2 or 3 CM's or AMC's depending on the preferred formation.

That should be 22 players. Most squad limits in different competitions are 25 so I usually have either an experienced veteran, some talented youngster or just a very versatile player in the squad to take the maximum out of all the limitations.

If things are going well then I'll give some of the better youth players a couple of chances to prove themselves in the first team.

I try to keep my first team squad to about 20-25 players. 2 players covering every position and a few good youth potentials.

i usually have 2 for every position, so 4 strikers, 4 centrebacks etc in addition to youngsters. Many of my players can play other positions as well, so always well covered. My squad tends to grow after a bit though, so usually don't start with that amount of coverage.

so it seems a bit of a mix with a core of similarity between everyone. i try to have two players per position but i tend to get carried away and buy extra when i see them cheap. and then they get upset when not playing.

at the moment ive got a formation that looks like...

gk
rb cb cb lb
dm
cm
rw lw
st st

one of the strikers are a target man, with the defensive mid as a play maker.

ive currently got...

GK: gomes and hart
LB: bale and naughton
RB: corluka and kyle walker
CB: king, dawson, woodgate, bassong and milito
DMC: sandro, poli and huddlestone
CM: palacios and van der vaart
LW: modric, krancjar
RW: lennon, dos santos and bentley (trying to sell)
ST(target man): cabanas and crouch
ST: defoe and aguero

i dont hold a reserve team as id rather the kids go out on loan. but there is a fair few

Interesting thread.

I usually have..

3 GK's - Mainly because I always like to have a keeper on the bench just incase, if one gets injured and you only have 2 you could lose a game if you're other one gets injured during the game.

4 CB's - Just for versatility really, I change my centre back for different strikers facing them and the way teams play, e.g if a team plays wide I'll play tall strong centre backs who are immense in the air, e.g Kaboul, if a team plays narrower I'll play more ball playing centre backs so they can nice balls out to the wingers to find the oppositions weakness which in this case would be a lack of width. & Obviously if a team has fast strikers = Fast centre backs and vice-versa.

4 FB's - Basically the same as centre backs, need 2 defensive one's and 2 attacking one's, all capable of playing in the first team. Full backs are really important in league's like the Premier League, especially when at home.

6 CM's - Basically because I might play 4-5-1 and I always like to have 2 CM's on the bench incase I need to change my approach to the game if I'm leading or a team makes changes to go more attacking etc.

4 Wingers - Need ball playing, technical wingers, aswell as fast pacey wingers with great dribbling. Once again all about versatility and being able to change it in the game if an approach isn't working.

2 DM's - Don't usually use them, but it's good to have them incase I decide to use them for a match against a stronger team.

2 AM's - Same as DM's really, but I tend to use these more, so if I buy one, I go for top quality one's.

5 ST's - I usually only use 1 or 2 every game, but strikers seem to get injured on my saves more than anyone else, so I need a lot. Plus once again it's about versatility and about having different types of strikers, e.g having a player like Crouch on the bench if you're starting a player like Defoe is good, as you can completely change you're type of striker. Tottenham is a prime example of this, usually why they score against me as it's so hard to adapt to their strikers sometimes.