donkarlito

Reaction score
I have a rule no players over 32 but seeing how well Giggs (37) and Scholes (36) have been playing very well last couple Scholes seems really important this season but I was wondering should I change the way I think at the moment Im Chelsea Lampard and Drogba both 34 and I was wondering should I but them in the Reserves next season letting younger players come through or carry on using them for first team ?

Lampards stats = 33(2) Apps 7 goals 8 assists av rating 6.95
Drogba stats = 21(8) Apps 4 goals 5 assists av rating 6.85

Whats other people's opinion of old players in fm?

Once the stats start dropping ship them out.

If the play well keep'em. Simple as that, of course wages should also be held in account.

I have no problem with players being "old/er" as long as they're still good.

The main reason I try to stay away from old players is due to the wages , they always demand huge wages for a seasons work! :S

Could keep them for tutoring younger players, but when there stats start going and they arn't performing well then start considering letting them move on.

To be fair I find it hard to release old players from the club , especially if they have been there a long time.

I remember on FM10 , I signed some random guy(can't remember his name) in the first season , he stayed with me until my 9/10 season in charge of Leyton Orient I just couldn't bring myself to let him go.
He was like my best friend :)

Drogba is on 71k a week also a coach
Lampard is on 140k a week but it runs out in 4 months time just got him down to 69k Im surprised how easy that was

Last edited:
I always try to sell the old players. Don't know why, but I always try to sign young and never old players even if they are better

It depends on how well the player is doing, for example, Olic may be in and around his 30's, and some may be put off because of his age, but if he plays well, which he has done for me, as he won the european player of the year on his 1st season, keep them. But if they are playing bad, or their stats drop low, you might as well get rid of them.

I always have a decent sub there, ive got delfouneso at the minute to replace olic, because he gets tired easily during a match, and sometimes older players can be prone to injuries.

Natural fitness seems to affect how soon a player's stats start to decline. The higher it is the longer their career and the longer their careers at the top of the game.

once their 30 i sell them but if they performed well the season before i offer them a new contract.

Got the message about end of season training report and my assistant manager said that Lampard, Cole and Drogba are starting to decline as footballers so you think I should but them in reserves

It depends on how important they are to the club.

Example. I have a save with Inter at the minute on the go, Mancini, 31, doesnt play, stats dropping, trying to offload him, accepted offers but he was me to pay 51k a week until the end of his 2 year contract thats still left, im refusing so he can rot in the reserves

Zanetti however, 37, plays a handful of important games, holding midfield role,spreads the ball around nicely and captains the team. Tutoring a youngster who I want to replace him in this role. Ill offer him a coach job when it lets me.

Drogba is 35 and a backup played 28 games due to injuries to other people also a coach
Lampard also 35 squad rotation played 35 but towards the end of season alot of messages about lack of form and dropping him from first team both 2 star ratings so dont know

age doesn't matter bud. As soon as I've had 2 months in a row of declining stats its time to ship them out or get them to be a coach etc...

In the lower leagues old players are great i think, i tend to use them alot, and when i get promoted to the top division, in the first season i think its good to have a couple of older experienced players, i rarely go top teams though so i cant comment on that.

I imagine it depends on the player and their stats...not to mention the position they play.

I sell wingers at 29/30
same with full backs
I sell centre mids when they start to decline, usually 32/33
Strikers go at 31/32
Keepers can stay until late 30's all depends on how good they are.
Centre backs need to go at around 32/33

Keep an eye on their physical stats when pace, acceleration and stamina go...get rid.

1) the player is as old as the player performs

2) if you have your Golden Oldies in your team, you can always tweak your tactic to incorporate them in a way that will utilize their strengths and nullify their weaknesses (i.e. Beckham - stand and cross) to ensure you get the best out of him

3) age used to bother me alot, however, the more knowledgable I have become playing CM and FM over many years, you realize that experience is highly important and at the end of the day, stats talk and young wonderkids walk
(if you had to average it out playing an experienced player like say Giggs vs a young kid like Zezinho, Giggs average would be better I can assure you of that) Zezinho will probably give you glimpes of brilliance however Giggs will be conistent and the older the player gets, the better the mental stats are (which in my opinion, are quite close to being my most important stats)

4) if the Golden oldies are not performing well anymore, try and ship them out, make sure to watch the contract lengths offered when they get to 30-31, keep them there to tutor your youngsters coming through!

5) to answer your question, I think that 33 is old but not geriatric, I have had players playing until 34 or 35 etc... I do love my youngsters, but I know that more experienced players are needed and essential to a good team

To be fair I find it hard to release old players from the club , especially if they have been there a long time.

I remember on FM10 , I signed some random guy(can't remember his name) in the first season , he stayed with me until my 9/10 season in charge of Leyton Orient I just couldn't bring myself to let him go.
He was like my best friend :)

I have the same problem. In a seperate save (Everton), I just couldn't bring myself to let go of Neville, Arteta, Cahill, Hibbert etc. I was able to make Neville part of the coaching staff, and later assistant manager, but was really sad when Arteta retired along with Hibbert. Like you said, was like were best mates. Then upon reflection, I thought to myself "its a game ffs". But I know what you mean exactly.