How Ruthless Must You Be After Promotion

Redstag

Reaction score
Its a simple enough question. Im doing a game with Lincoln town and media prediction is 6th in CCola League 2. Its January 1st and I am top of the league.

If I do get promoted the question is should I make major changes to the squad or is persevering with my squad the way to go.

well when you get promoted, the star ratings drop of each player by about one star, so i usually make a lot of changes

Thanks I never do lower league management before so this is vital.

yh i can imagine, in the second season look for some decent free transfers, i got bischoff and stoch on a free so i was happy with that

Keep your star players obviously, and any players who your coaches might say arent as good, but got a very good average rating the season before. Also ship out any of the players whose value as risen by the promotion but aren't actually that good.

Start planning way ahead who should stay and who should go. Usually, I change from 5 to even 7-8 players after promotion. A top class keeper is almost essential in top divisions.

a big goal scorer is also vital

Sure they are. Big target men capable of scoring are very important when your team lack quality.

Looking through the up division squads and their team stats can also be done to have an idea of the kind of quality needed to stay up. From my FM05 game and from the few League Two teams I fought with Crewe in League One (Cup matches, obviously), I would say for the jump from L2 to L1 you wouldn't need too many changes to keep your team competitive. The big leap will come in going up to Championship.

I agree with Death Ball, I've got to Championship with Notts County on Chris22's V6 update after 2 promotions in 2 season, League 1 is barely any different from League 2, except you need to take your chances and defend a lot better, but it's not that hard tbh. I'm 7th with Notts County with 3 games to go, I'm only 1 point outside of the play-offs, so I'm really happy how I've done, although, I'm unbeaten away as I always go for a draw, even if I'm playing the side bottom of the league, I think I've drawn about 80% of my away games, and winning the rest, I've had a good home record but I never draw because I tend to go for the win at home no matter who the opposition, so it's different with each sides, you always need a good balance of youngster, middle age players in their prime, and veterans, if you have to many of one when your new to a division, it always seems to go wrong, hope this helped :D