lothrail

Reaction score
So first of all let me present "my" tactic, it's how I will most likely try to make my team play when I become a coach. The idea is simple: high press, short but quick passing and having different sources for creating chances. A number 10 on one side and winger on the other, a creative playmaker in the middle with a box to box runner, add attacking full backs and a beast of a striker, high workrate for everyone and it's perfect isn't it ? Well, that was the idea :D
View attachment 341669View attachment 341668View attachment 341667View attachment 341666View attachment 341665

As you can see I'm beating (and deservedly so) the big boys but only to loose to Newcastle or Villa. The draw with West Ham was also extremely lucky (it was like 5-2 in CCCs for them while the big boys can hardly create any chances with united scoring from an own goal for instance and chelsea from a corner).
What could I change for this supposedly easier matches ?

Try putting on be more expressive .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

i wouldn't complain that much if i was you, you're going to win the league and that's great with Everton. however if you're having difficulties breaking into tight defenses try adding "Run at defense", "Play wider" and "Look for overlap". Pass into space and work ball into box are almost useless against "stand off" opponents ;)

i wouldn't complain that much if i was you, you're going to win the league and that's great with Everton. however if you're having difficulties breaking into tight defenses try adding "Run at defense", "Play wider" and "Look for overlap". Pass into space and work ball into box are almost useless against "stand off" opponents ;)

I'm not complaining, just trying to improve. Besides it would feel awkward to loose the league at loftus road after conquering anfields and stamfords, and so on ;)

I already ask my good dribblers to run with ball so I'm not sure if run at defense would change anything but play wider and look for overlap could help especially with Lukaku being so good in the air. Gonna try it out, thanks!

Last edited:
Well, as far as I can tell, you ordered your team to retain possession, and be carefull not to lose the ball, but at the same time you ordered your whole team to try risky passess (pass into space) and play a high tempo. Good players may pull that off, but you are making them strain. I would at least play narrower, so that players are in better position to put pressure on and defend when ball is lost, and it's bound to happen with your setup. I have no idea why you are doing as well as you are...

the Run at Defence instruction does some magic when i play weaker teams

Well, as far as I can tell, you ordered your team to retain possession, and be carefull not to lose the ball, but at the same time you ordered your whole team to try risky passess (pass into space) and play a high tempo. Good players may pull that off, but you are making them strain. I would at least play narrower, so that players are in better position to put pressure on and defend when ball is lost, and it's bound to happen with your setup. I have no idea why you are doing as well as you are...

Athletic Bilbao under Bielsa has been my inspiration, they played like that as well and destroyed ManU just like I did.
It's called "verticalidad" in spanish speaking countries. Players are supposed to not take too many touches of the ball(high tempo) and look for incisive, vertical passes(pass into space) but not force them if they are just not there, retaining the ball and keeping it moving till the "vertical" passing opportunity comes. It just takes intelligent players to pull it off.
If you think it's bad I suggest calling senor Bielsa and telling him he's a bad tactician ;)

edit: I haven't watched them but I suppose Southampton played similarly under Poche as he's a Bielsista too. I know they dominated possesion but played lots of risky passes at a high tempo and very high pressing

Last edited:
Your tacktic does not work with smaller teams due to their setup. They tend to stay deep and the denay you option of deep/vertical ball, so your team is forced to go around their defence and wait for hole to turn up.

Best option for you is to have few better driblers in your squad to run at defence, maby Mirallas and Rabiello, and tell Lukaku to move into chanels and roam from position, or even have him on F9 so he would draw opposition defence to follow him. You have to figure out how to make space for scoring goals, this way, you will be probably have more shots on goal, but most of them will be from long range. Also, you may want to try with shot on site, if this does not work in short term.

This formation you are forcing is basically draining stamina from your players, especially from your defence which has to cover a lot of space. Due to this, your defence will be more prone to exostion and therefore to errors late in the game. And I am guessing this is when your opponents score most of their goals. In order to avoid this, you shold change up during game, in order to perserve stamina of your defensive players and avoid late game mistakes. Also, this is good option as you will force your opponent to adopt. Then latter, if you change back on this formation, this may craete you some space for vertical passes and you may benefit from this.

Switch to a little more 'defensive' tactic to give the oppositionsome rooman draw them out.
The prbably keep there players back to defend the goal and try to hit you on th counter.

Putting from control to standard and dont push higher up may lure the opposition to play higher and thus give you more space behind their d-line.

Or

Try to chance the spear point of your attack: eg from central to flanks(with attacking wingers and a hanging attackr)

Or

Invest in a good set-piece kicker and header - to create goal opportunities this way.

Against weaker teams, I often switch off the Retain Possession option and switch on Higher Tempo and Be More Expressive with Exploit The Flanks and my team's short passing game being supplemented by Direct Passing central midfielders who can move the ball more quickly. Switch the team options to ATTACK and FLUID.

This can be energy-sapping for a team that is not high in stamina so it's worth changing back to CONTROL and BALANCE when you have a decent lead.