How To Become a Football Commentator?

Giggles

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was doing some thinking last night, and thought of a dream job- Being a football commentator. How better could it get then going to the best grounds across the world, watch the best teams, and get to blab on about my favourite thing in the world- Football.

However, I have no idea how to get into football broadcasting. I'd rather do radio commentary, if that helps too. Does anybody have any idea, how I'd get into Football Broadcasting and what the job would involve?

Thanks,
Connor.

Try going intro Drama Studies/English Media studies? Work with technical equipment and then follow that up with enquiries into broadcasting companies such as the BBC, ITV and Sky Sports to do small jobs and then work your way up.

There was a small article about it in the annual Match of the Day magazine with John Motson. Think it was around 2006. Can't really remember.

Would part of your qualifications not need to be a journalist degree or something also ?

I think with these sorts of ideological jobs its more who you know rather than what you know. You could do years of studying around the media subject and with jobs like Journalism and football commentating, if you don't know the needed people.. it's very difficult to break into the big leagues.

Be a professional footballer. Then retire. Then learn every possible football cliche.

I assume you should start up like an online commentary podcast, bump it up like ****, and when there is an interesting live match, comment on it directly. That wouldn't look two bad on your CV if you are applying for a spot on BBC.

-----------

Honestly, I would try and show your knowledge, and how interesting you are in some articles on matches. Just try and keep it non-biased.

Then if they are good, and you are getting a lot of views, try and get an interview with a radio broadcaster.

I think the cliche's Nixon is talking about are things like:

-Take a bow, son
-Oh, and what a goal that is
-And that, is how you do it

Feel free to add! :p

Well, ironically, this is exactly what I want to be.

I'm doing a Journalism degree in Sheffield, and it's all about who you know, what skills you can show and previous experience. So don't be afraid to approach people and get to know more people, get plenty of contacts, get some work experience, the BBC do quite a bit, and get your name out there, start a blog, show your skills at writing first and you can hopefully move into commentary.

Well thats what I hope, anyway.

Would be an absolute dream job.

But sadly I would guess it would be very had to get in to, but I'm sure most of us could to a better job than some of the commentators around.

I've asked my English teacher about ways of getting into (sports) journalism and he suggested the best way is to do English or History etc. at Universtity and then do a Post grad in Journalism.

Pretty much the same advice Dan Walker talks about in the article posted above from Des Lynam.

Last edited:
The commentators in America are absolutely atrocious, and I've toyed with the idea of seriously pursuing it since so few of us actually watch the game...does anyone have any advice? I've already finished university and don't really have any journalism contacts.

In spain you need to have a long breath as commentators scream sometimes over 2 minutes GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

errr check dan walkers blog, true legend one of his blogs helps,
check my sig ;)

Most of the advice people here have given is sound, and the bit extolling the virtues of getting some experience with broadcasting is particularly good, from what I hear.