alexdbaf

Reaction score
Hi Guys !

I'm playing in Belgian Pro league and every team I'm struggling against is playing in 4-2-3-1 with 2 defensive midfielder and 3 offensives.

In overall things are doing well in the league, I'm 2d after 17 games ( medias expectations was 5th) , but I was kicked out of the belgian cup against a team playing in 4-2-3-1 and same in Europa...

I play like in 4-1-2-2-1 (see screenshots under) and put my backs duty on "support" instead of "attack" when I play against 4-2-3-1 in order to offset the attack of their offensive midfielder but apparently it is not enough ...

View attachment 116621View attachment 116620

Thank you in advance for helping me ! This being my only weakness, I believe that once this problem will be solved my team will be unbeatable :D

You have described your opposition as lining up with two Defensive Midfielders sitting in front of two centre backs, yet both of your wide attackers are operating as Inside Forwards who will Cut Inside and run directly into that traffic in and around their penalty area. Try the same formation but with conventional wingers, Exploit the Flanks and get plenty of crosses in - go around the outside where they are not so heavily populated with the crosses going goalside of that central defensive four. If you have a tall Target Man to play the lone striker role, that will increase your chances of winning headers. I prefer Whipped Crosses.

You can put one full back on Attack duty, with the winger in front of him on Support. On the other flank, have the full back on Support and the winger on Attack. Instruct each of them where to cross from and where to aim their crosses - giving thought to who you expect to get on the end of those crosses. Train the central midfielders to Switch the Ball to Opposite Flank Often to provide service to your wide men.

None of your central midfielders are playing in their preferred positions, roles or duties. Play players to their strengths or retrain/replace them if you need them to do something different. In this formation where you don't have a No.10 you might consider a Complete Forward_Support. I find that a good player in this role will maraud around that area of the pitch, run at the opposition and create chances for himself and others. I mentioned using a Target Man earlier; worth having one of each to give you options from the bench and the choice to switch to a 4-4-2, if you want. Most CFs can also play the Advanced Forward_Attack role, too, particularly if they are fast.

Almost forgot, but where you have the support of a DM sitting in front of your two centre backs, you can afford to assign one of your centre backs to a Man Marking role to nullify the opposition's main striker.

Last edited:
Hi rocheyb !

Thank you for your message, very complete and very insightful as well. I also wanted to have a complete forward but none of my striker were able to play in this position so I play either with a defensive forward or target man. I tried this afternoon to play with wing man instead of inside forwards and it has worked well but it wasn't against a 4-2-3-1, I'll try again.

I generally ask my players to have a close marking on the opposition main striker in the OI but the offensive midfielder are the most dangerous, most of the time.

I will apply your advices and I'll tell you what are the results :)

Thank you again !

I play almost a similar formation to this but it is more possession based. From what I can tell your team plays more of a direct game with shorter passing, the instructions are kinda in the middle so neither here or there.

Cant tell who your goal scoring options are but usually it should be the inside forwards and midfielders. Your playmakers basically are the Fullbacks, your defensive forward and your DLP.

You did say that you have problems with the opposition number 10 and i agree, i had same problems. The reason the number 10 is free causing problems is coz only defense duties are the Centre Backs.

What you need is a DM or BWM-D in the defensive midfield position. Your second midfielder should be on support BBM or BWM. If you do this change you will have to change your first midfielder to AP-A coz then he will become the playmaker.

It all really depends on what you are playing, if its a possession game you can make your team narrow, push high, get them to close down more and stuck in.

If you are playing direct you need to increase your tempo, switch inside forwards to wingers, switch DF to Target man but you need your first midfielder to get further forward to assist the targetman. For defense in this case you just sit back, not close down, stay on feet, get the ball to the flanks as soon as you get it so your wingers can create chances

In both cases the number 10 will be neutralized.

Hi guys !

Thank for the advice but I finally found how to counter this 4-2-3-1 : by playing in ... 4 2 3 1 !

This way a managed to have 5 wins in a row, against team that played in 4 2 3 1 , one of these being the big favourite (Anderlecht) . Something important to note: I won 5-1 , even though the first game I had against them at the beginning of the season was really hard for me.

I played like this :
View attachment 116297

And I asked one of my CD to closely mark their forward. This tactics neutralized their 4 offensive players and the use of true wingers that were asked to go and cross the ball to the TM avoided their 2 defensive midfielder.