Cydonia

Reaction score
I'm playing as Swindon Town on FMC 14 (PC and Vita).

My defense fail to deal with opposition when they play a single striker with an AMC behind (4-4-1-1 etc).

I've got one defender man marking, and then put the other on cover, but generally the striker always ends up alone in the box, and the covering defender is nowhere to be seen. Even worse, the striker drops deep, taking the defender with him and no-one follows the runner.
I play 4-3-1-2 (FB, CB, CB, FB, MC(b2b), MC(bwm), MC(dlp), AMC, ST(tm), ST(p)

Sometimes I drop the BWM back to DM to man mark the AMC, and that generally works, but I can't get the covering man to do his job.

This tactic is working overall, I'm top of the league and got knocked out the third round of the league cup by Brighton, but I leak goals. A lot of games are won 2-1, 3-2 etc, with the AMC or defenders outscoring the strikers. I've got the (very limited training options) set to defending.

Swindon have some awful players (Nile Ranger, good in real life, unable to score in FM) and some brilliant player (Massimo Luongo, Alex Pritchard, Ryan Mason. Based on the best formations available to my squad, I should have something like:
FB, CB, CB, FB, DM, MC, MC, AMC, AMC, ST

Can someone recommend a way of utilizing my best players? It's a very narrow formation, so how can I protect myself from wide players?
Help much appreciated!
Cydonia

Last edited:
Your formation seems vulnerable between midfield and defence. This might explain your problems against AMC's. Maybe you should limit the space by playing a higher line. But I don't know enough about your formation and tactic to know if that is beneficial to the team overall.

In terms of defending against a lone striker with an AMC behind him is that you CANNOT instruct your players to mark either of them tight. This will cause your defenders to be out of position way too often.

cover defender generally doesn't work with a high defensive line...if you want cover, use a deep line, or you can use two defend or two stopper duties plus a sweeper keeper, depending how aggressive you want your defence to be....if not using a player in dm position, you would be better of with two stoppers