How to defend against pacey players?

morgs1995

Reaction score
Hi,

I am with Man City in my current save and have been finding it very difficult to beat Arsenal, usually to the fact that Walcott is so quick. I have beaten them twice; (both times Walcott wasn't in the line-up) 3-0 on penalties in Community Shield and 2-0 in league. Any tips?

Cheers,

Morgs

Defend deep is the main one, deny them space in behind your defence to utilise their pace.

Tackle hard. Remember, they can't run with a broken fibula

Sign a quick DC. Yobo is one that springs to mind. Also, drop deep, stops the players trying to get in behind.

Or you could be a real man, play with high D line with offside trap, and an attacking mentality sweeper keeper!

Tight marking=never. Stick too close to him and he'll just make you look stupid and blow past.

Thanks people. In reference to Ed, I did manage to break Van Persie's leg in the 4th minute of my most recent encounter :D

Tight marking=never. Stick too close to him and he'll just make you look stupid and blow past.

true to an extent. Man marking is a must, since the fast players can jolt past you if your marking zonal.

Another option would be getting a anchor man or central midfielder to make sure the pass doesnt get to the pacey players. e.g. mark specific man.

I find that playing a back 3 really helps against pacey strikers. I play the DRC and DLC as stoppers, whilst the DC is set to cover. You can be vulnerable out wide but 3 good headers in the middle helps deal with crosses. The wingbacks/wide midfielders can also be set to man mark the opposing wingers with tight marking to help protect the flanks, although I find they lose a bit from their attacking play with this setting.

In FM10, pacey and most of all pacey players that have strength an agility, have a huge advantage, almost an unfair one. The best way for me to deal with these players is to focus on their supply rather than the player it self. If they come deep to get the ball, well then we must cut the angel of their deeplying MC buy putting pressure on him. In some matches, I let my more defensive FC specific man mark their MCd and then use tight zonal in midfield

I find that playing a back 3 really helps against pacey strikers. I play the DRC and DLC as stoppers, whilst the DC is set to cover. You can be vulnerable out wide but 3 good headers in the middle helps deal with crosses.

Your wasting your wide midfielder's stamina when you need them to defend, your wasting wingback's stamina when they track back from attacking. And if you use 3 defenders, you can still be outplayed if the ball is driven in low, or a through ball from the flanks.

But if you have a sweeper you can play with a 3 man defence very well. players with high pace usually are weak in strength, so more hard tackling is also encouraged.

1) tight marking - never, closing down - never
2) play a defensive winger on the side Walcott (or speedy players are playing)
3) play a high defensive line or very very deep one
4) have at least one of your defenders on Cover duty (this guy need to be quick i.e. Geromel, Zapata)
5) hard tackle the player
6) set to tackle on weaker foot, forcing him to cut inside, have a Dm to cut out his runs
7) set your fullback to defend duty not attack or support etc
8) zonal marking - stand off opponents team instructions
9) um... cant think of anymore..

1)
3) play a high defensive line or very very deep one
8) zonal marking - stand off opponents team instructions

High line means you will have to close down the player quickly, which results in a one touch pass, and the pacey player makes a run, the player who has the ball can just send a defence splitting pass which in the end your player cant chase after.

When you zonal mark the pacey player can just run around you, wont work all the time(unless you have fast defenders.) man mark, is still good, just dont tight mark.