How to edit a team's starting points

Carine

Reaction score
I have seen a few threads asking 'How can I start the game with teams on minus points' recently so I thought I would make this thread to show you how.

The long-winded way is to recreate the entire league structure after adding new nation rules in the editor, but most people would rather not spend 3-4 hours making everything work as in real life :)

I will show you how to add a points deduction without having to recreate the league.

The following might seem daunting if you're not used to editing, but I can gurantee you will be fine and that nothing bad will happen to your game. Crashes etc... are usually because the user has made a mistake -- if you follow my instructions everything will be fine :)

In my example I will deduct 10 points from Tottenham at the start of my game and 35 points from Arsenal at the start of the following season.

Using this method will also get rid of the 25 man squad rule in season two (I won't put this back in as it's rubbish imo) and the prize money for the league concerned (I will put this back in).

This seems like a lot of work, but it takes less than 10 minutes (and it‘s easy to do)…

Step One.
Load up your game and write down the prize money allocated to each team.
I’m using the premiership so…

Close your game and exit FM.

Step Two.
Load up the Editor.
Click ‘File’ and ‘Load Database’ -- I am using the 10.3 patch.
Click the ‘Create New Nations’ tab.
In the dialogue box click ‘Add lower divisions and cups to existing structure’ and choose the nation your teams are from (in my case England).
Click ‘Finish’.
You will now see all of the countries leagues and cups on the left of your window. If you click Premier League you will see that all editable information is greyed out (protected).

Step Three.
In the Menu (top left of window) click ‘Database’.
Now click the ‘Clubs’ tab and search for the team(s) you are giving a points deduction to.
On the club(s) details page you will see their ‘Unique Id’. Write this down.

Step Four.
Click the File drop down menu and select ‘Save data editor as’.
Give your database a name and save it.
Exit the editor.

Step Five.
Navigate to Your Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/editor data
Right click on your new database and open it in NOTEPAD.

You will be confronted with a lot of jargon, but don’t worry. To jump to the section that interests us click on the EDIT drop down menu at the top and select FIND. Type in the following --

<list id="league_comps">

And then click FIND NEXT.

Directly below this is the information regarding the structure of the Premier Division.
Look for the following line of code --

<string id="competition" value="11"/>
<string id="use_game_rules" value="active_comp"/>

and change "active_comp" to "false"

then find --

<list id="sort_value">
<string value="goal_difference"/>
<string value="goals_for"/>
</list>

AFTER this write the following code to add prize money (or copy and paste mine and adjust it how you see fit) --

<list id="prize_money">
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="20632000"/>
<integer id="position" value="1"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="19600000"/>
<integer id="position" value="2"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="18568000"/>
<integer id="position" value="3"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="17537000"/>
<integer id="position" value="4"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="16505000"/>
<integer id="position" value="5"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="15474000"/>
<integer id="position" value="6"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="14442000"/>
<integer id="position" value="7"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="13411000"/>
<integer id="position" value="8"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="12379000"/>
<integer id="position" value="9"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="11347000"/>
<integer id="position" value="10"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="10316000"/>
<integer id="position" value="11"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="9284000"/>
<integer id="position" value="12"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="8253000"/>
<integer id="position" value="13"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="7221000"/>
<integer id="position" value="14"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="6189000"/>
<integer id="position" value="15"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="5158000"/>
<integer id="position" value="16"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="4126000"/>
<integer id="position" value="17"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="3095000"/>
<integer id="position" value="18"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="2063000"/>
<integer id="position" value="19"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="1032000"/>
<integer id="position" value="20"/>
</record>
</list>

Now, directly underneath this put in the points deductions code (again copy, paste and alter if that’s easier). The first lump of code is Tottenham (team 728) the second is Arsenal (team 602) --

<list id="points_deductions">
<record>
<record id="team">
<integer id="Ttea" value="728"/>
</record>
<integer id="year" value="2009"/>
<integer id="points" value="10"/>
</record>

<record>
<record id="team">
<integer id="Ttea" value="602"/>
</record>
<integer id="year" value="2010"/>
<integer id="points" value="35"/>
</record>
</list>

Click FILE and SAVE.

Added information after a test by TheOtherRedDevils...

If you are editing a lower division that uses a play-off system for promotion you must also add in the following code (again adjust to your needs) --

<record id="top_playoff">
<string id="type" value="cup"/>
<integer id="number_places" value="4"/>
<integer id="promotion_places" value="1"/>
<integer id="index" value="1"/>
</record>

You should place this code above the promotion and relegation string, which looks something like this --

<string id="promotion_places" value="2"/>
<string id="relegation_places" value="3"/>

If you want three teams to be promoted (one via play-off) then leave the 2 in the above example as is. The other promotion place in is the play-off code. Changing the above to 3 will in fact add four promotion places (including the play-off) and crash the game.

Have fun J

Last edited:
cool, I wonder if it works in reverse - ie giving Crystal Palace there points back.....

I don't think so.

Btw, if anyone tried this in the first 5 minutes after I posted and it didn't work it's because I forgot a line right at the start of Step Five. It's all there now :)

Last edited:
Thanks Carine, you are an editing god and I kneel before you!

Thanks Carine, you are an editing god and I kneel before you!

Ah stop -- you'll make me blush, lol. Have you tried it out yet? I'm going to put some screenshots up in a minute as proof it works.

re Palace - no it doesn't work - and for anyone interested - this method will not work for lower divisions - i got an error message caused by changing "active_comp" to "false" - the play-offs in Championship & League 1 were obviously part of the active_comp rules :(

re Palace - no it doesn't work - and for anyone interested - this method will not work for lower divisions - i got an error message caused by changing "active_comp" to "false" - the play-offs in Championship & League 1 were obviously part of the active_comp rules :(

I will find a way around that and post it.

Screenshots now in OP for Premier League.

Last edited:
Problem fixed

I have now fixed the problem stated above. The OP has been updated.

Please see above post for screenshots.

Now then....has me setting the point reduction points to 0 worked or does it remove Palaces deduction anyway lolz

whatever Palace have no points deducted YAY

Glad it's working :) As I said in the OP, most errors are due to user mistakes -- in this case is was mine, lol. Thanks for testing it and pointing out the problem. I think the game's rules have got rid of Palace's points deduction rather than the code as they have no points deduction on mine either.

Thanks, it was one of two issues i had with my database i'm working on (the other issue is...... How to set ALL games in ALL divisions to be TV matches!!!)

Thanks, it was one of two issues i had with my database i'm working on (the other issue is...... How to set ALL games in ALL divisions to be TV matches!!!)

I'm not sure, but I will have a look for you. It will probably be tomorrow though as I have a headache from looking through all that code earlier on, lol.

Lol, well, I thought i was a bit handy at coding, but i couldn't work out how to do the deductions, so great stuff mate!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

play-offs will only be one-legged affairs if you do it this way. I know that comes away from the real life scenario, but it's the only way I can figure out how to do it at the moment. Fixture dates in the league may also differ from real life as we are over-riding the hardcoded league in place. This might seem like a downside to some, but this is about adding in penalties to certain clubs etc... whilst keeping all the cups and other stuff in tact (without mass editing).

if i deducted points off a club for the second season in like you did with arsenal but they either got promoted or relegated in the first season would the points deduction carry on to the next division automatically?

if i deducted points off a club for the second season in like you did with arsenal but they either got promoted or relegated in the first season would the points deduction carry on to the next division automatically?

That is a good point -- I will test this and get back to you.

AFTER this write the following code to add prize money (or copy and paste mine and adjust it how you see fit) --

<list id="prize_money">
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="20632000"/>
<integer id="position" value="1"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="19600000"/>
<integer id="position" value="2"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="18568000"/>
<integer id="position" value="3"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="17537000"/>
<integer id="position" value="4"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="16505000"/>
<integer id="position" value="5"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="15474000"/>
<integer id="position" value="6"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="14442000"/>
<integer id="position" value="7"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="13411000"/>
<integer id="position" value="8"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="12379000"/>
<integer id="position" value="9"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="11347000"/>
<integer id="position" value="10"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="10316000"/>
<integer id="position" value="11"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="9284000"/>
<integer id="position" value="12"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="8253000"/>
<integer id="position" value="13"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="7221000"/>
<integer id="position" value="14"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="6189000"/>
<integer id="position" value="15"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="5158000"/>
<integer id="position" value="16"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="4126000"/>
<integer id="position" value="17"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="3095000"/>
<integer id="position" value="18"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="2063000"/>
<integer id="position" value="19"/>
</record>
<record>
<integer id="cash" value="1032000"/>
<integer id="position" value="20"/>
</record>
</list>

does this state the amount of prize money will be given to each position? i.e. if i wanted the champions to get 50million than if change above number to 50million would that work?

does this state the amount of prize money will be given to each position? i.e. if i wanted the champions to get 50million than if change above number to 50million would that work?

Yes.

<list id="prize_money"> This starts the overall Prize Money entry for the division.

<record> This starts an individual entry.
<integer id="cash" value="20632000"/> This is the prize money added to the league position.
<integer id="position" value="1"/> This is the league position affected.
</record> This ends an individual entry.

</list> This ends the overall Prize Money entry for the division.

P.S. Do not use commors in the prize money field as the engine will not recognise them and the game will not process your entries correctly.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

After testing, I've discovered that a points deduction that takes place later in the game only takes affect if the team remains in the division the points deduction is set in. I'll have another look around and see if I can change this so it carries over divisions.

Last edited: