laffles

Reaction score
Counter-Attacking is quite difficult to master, but is truly phenomenal when done properly.

Teams entirely devoted to the Counter are often brutally effective, just as Jose proved at both Inter and more prominently Chelsea.

Tactics like this can be quite difficult to create on FM as they take a fairly long time to get used too. When creating a Counter tactic don't expect to get instant results, as the best tactics take time.

Im gonna show you step by step how to make a highly effective counter- attacking system for use in Football Manager.

Step One. The Formation.

In my view the dominant and easiest formation to use is the 4-5-1, It provides a solid balance between defence and attack and contains the all important wingers.
attachment.php

The Key Positions in a counter-attacking 4-5-1 are the Wingers and the Defensive midfielder.

The wingers tend to be the recievers of the ball when "on the break" and the defensive mid tends to be the distributor.

So, your gonna want your wingers to stay forward at all times and to cut inside.
This is simply done by setting the 'mentality' slider towards the Attacking end, The Closing down slider set right down to 'Own Area' so they don't track back and the wide play to 'Cut inside'.

If you have a very creative winger I also suggest taking his creative freedom away as he will be more prone to tactical complacency.

attachment.php

Next Up is the Defensive Midfielder/ Distributor.

This guys main aim is to break up opposition attacks and launch a quick attack when the opposition are unprepared.

Set his Mentality to Defensive and his closing down to 'Own Half'.
He can be left fairly standard in other respects apart from I setting his Hold Up The Ball to No. So he doesnt slow down play.

attachment.php

All the other positions can be left standard. Here are my reccomended roles.

DR/DL- Fullback- Support Duty (Set run from deep to often, Crossing rarely and through balls often)
DCL/DCR- Central Defender Cover.
MCR/MCL- Box to Box Midfielder.
STC-Deep Lying Forward-Support (Can be set up as a 'False nine' for a greater effect)

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

These are the most important part. Setting these up properly is the difference between success and failure.

Heres a general template.

attachment.php

Defending Deep, Low closing down and Cautious tackling draw the team on to you. So to better utilise the counter.

Heres The finished article and a link to download.

attachment.php

Hope This Helps.

Last edited:
Looks good. I'm going to try this!

Would it work with smaller clubs who like to counter attack?

Looks good. I'm going to try this!

Would it work with smaller clubs who like to counter attack?

It should do yeah, bare in mind that being a smaller club you can't expect to win every game playing like this. This is a guide for a basic yet effective tactic, and there is lots of room for tweaking. It has all the important details explained but the other positions can be tweaked to be more effective XD

This Pleased me, First game of my Fulham season, Using the exact tactic linked above.

Went 2-0 down, both chelsea goals came from corners.

Scored 3 on the counter in the second half.

I did this with real madrid against barcelona and was slaughtered in the supercup but won 3-0 in the league so counter attacking is very effective but it takes time so you won't win it all in the first season but in the second mehehehe we gon have som fun!