Noobie2k7

Reaction score
I found this 4-2-4 formation i'm in love with. 2 ST, AMR, AML, 2 CM/DM, WB L, WB R and 2 CD. I've had ok luck with it but am having consistency issues. The Midfielders i pick for it are usually more defensive ones as they often switch between the CM and DM positions and almost always run with ball winning or defensive playmaking roles.

I've found with the set up i score a lot but also conceed way more than i'd like due to lacking real presence on the midfield wings. What sort of player instructions, preffered roles and such would you guys reccomend for this formation? 9/10 times i finish the games with leading possession and shooting stats but often i lose out to quality over quantity.

I noticed that you said you use ball winning midfielders. I'm not saying never use them, but they will not hold position and you will basically be overrun especially with wing backs. A central midfielder set to defend or a deep lying play maker set to defend are much better options in my opinion.

Stick one of those with a box to box midfielder and youve got one of the most solid MC pairs (relative, compared to a 3 man midfield and its quite limited), and still offer options going forward.

That's what they change to sometimes. Well i brought Lampard on a whim and he's one of my midfielders as a box to box midfielder. He often gets subbed out though as he can barely last a full 90 minutes these days. Then my other guy is either a ball winning midfielder or a deep lying playmaker.

But i've been trying out running my wing backs as plain full backs set to defend and it;s been slowing my game a little but i;ve been conceeding less and not conceeding goals is more important than scoring them really.