How to get a german reserve team promoted ?

TheEquinox

Reaction score
Topic says it all. I'm at Stuttgart and my reserve team plays in "Regionalliga" which is the 4th division in germany. But only the first three divisions are playable, so effectively they play in a non playable league and don't get any real fixtures. But in germany it's possible to have the reserve teams in 3. Liga like currently there is Dortmund II, Köln II and Hamburg II in the 3. Liga.

So my question is, are the promotions to playable level completely random or is there anything I can do to influence this ? Like if I would buy a couple of class players and move them to my reserve squad, would they be more likely to promote ?

Put your first team on the reserve team and vice versa, I don't guarantee that you can stay in the Bundesliga though if you prefer to focus on your reserve team...

buy older players that have like another good year left thats if there is no age limit for the reserve team then move them to the reserves i mean 4th division must be pretty **** so with maybe 3 or 4 decent players they should easily be promoted!

i'd imagine making all your players available for reserves until match fit, and then signing a couple of older players to play for the reserves should help get them promoted.

But are you sure that there are any games calculated at all in a non league level ? I'm not convinced that better players would make a difference if the not displayed matches of fourth division are just randomly calculated ?

i'd imagine making all your players available for reserves until match fit, and then signing a couple of older players to play for the reserves should help get them promoted.

but i think the main point he was trying to make was...if your reserve team is currently in a non-playable league..does making good players play for it and stuff actually have any influence in getting it promoted to a playable one, or will it stay stuck in the unplayable one? (sorry if i'm wrong)

Last edited:
but i think the main point he was trying to make was...if your reserve team is currently in a non-playable league..does making good players play for it and stuff actually have any influence in getting it promoted to a playable one, or will it stay stuck in the unplayable one? (sorry if i'm wrong)

You are right, that's what I mean. I only know that my 2nd team is in 4th division because if I click on the history of a player in the 2nd team, I can see he has done xx matches in "Regionalliga". But there are no fixtures set for the 2nd team, so it's just a non-existant league they are "playing" in.

Sory to bump this but really nobody knows ? Would be really interesting to know if it makes sense to buy players for a second team...

After making my German DB, I think it is quite random which teams get promoted from inactive leagues, in the case of my DB that is from tier 6 (Verbandsliga). I think it may be partly based on team reputation, and the rest is random. I for one have never had my II team promoted from an inactive division, which is quite annoying.

BTW, if you where using my DB, you could have the Regionalliga active ;)

Edit: I think Dortmund II start in the Regionalliga in the first season, but in your save they got promoted... So may be I'm just unlucky.

Last edited:
I'm working on a theory at the moment. I'm Hansa Rostock and my U23 team (reserves cap age at 23) plays no games at all and I want to get them into bundesliga 3.

What I'm doing is scheduling high reputation Asian teams every monday. This 1. Brings in decent cash and 2. Should Improve my reserve teams reputation.

So far I've beaten most of the top Chinese teams including Beijing with my Reserve team (all under 23 players). As I recall, winning games improves your reputation.

Reputation is the key (only?) factor in teams rising out of unplayable leagues into playable ones. For instance, if you went into the editor and dropped an EPL team out of playable leagues and got rid of all of their players, the next season they will join the lowest available league based on their reputation (It's also logical).

So basically, by playing Asian teams with 4,000-5,000 reputation (Man U is ~9,300 for reference) and beating them; my reserves will become respected. By having a higher reputation they will have a much better chance at getting into Bundesliga 3.