How to get both your strikers involved?

Goooner

Reaction score
Im currently doing my last save with arsenal before fm10 and the title says it all. I have Van Persie and Milevskyi up front and i wondered that if i set milevskyi as a target man(mixed) van persie wouldnt get much of the ball. I set him to mixed as hes good in the air and the ground. I have fabregas as a playmaker but im wondering if i should take him off as it says that a play maker is someone that the other players look to pass the ball to so he can dictate play but he seems to be scoring more that assisting(which is what i would like). I give him a free role and let him work his magic but he ends up scoring more or just as much as my strikers and not really laying them on to score.

If i set milevskyi as a target man to head and set him as the main crossing target for my full backs and wingers he seems to be doing alright but then van persie suffers.

I have the exact same problem. I solve it by playing 1 up front. If you are ademant on using 2 strikers, I would try an use the same settings for both of them so they have their striking responsibilities split. I can't help much more, I'm no tactical genius lol

I really want to play 2 upfront though because i like having one stonger striker holding up the ball and another fast, flamboyant one with a free role. If i play one its hard for the striker to cope against two meat-head centre backs.

I hope the betterhalf or zebedee come online :'(

If your having a target man, there's two ways that I do it, you can have either your target man or your other striker with a "normal" mentality on the sliders, and the other striker have a attacking one, you then get a better ability to link up, this works especially well with good concentration and passing as they stay in position of the mentality setting and find the link up pass better. So for example, if your target man is set to "run onto ball" you should have him more attacking so he hangs on the last man, and the other striker more defensive for link up. Another way like your doing it is "to head" so the target man recieves the ball into the air, make the target man more defensive mentality when doing this, and the other striker more attacking so the striker who isn't the target man can run onto the ball after the target man heads it, this would obviousl work better with someone with good pace and finishing so he is clinical. If your using "mixed", then it's harder, you could put either one at the attacking and defensive mentalities, but it does make it harder for them to link up as they can't get used to just one way of attacking as you may use up to 4 by using "mixed", which would be "run onto ball, "to feet", "to head" and "mixed", so it's up to you, but by the sound of it I would use either "run onto ball", mainly because of Arsenal's good passers and through ball ability, or "to head" as you can have Milevskyi as target man and Van Persie as your sort of poacher. Lol that took a while to type so I hoped it helped :)
P.S - I'm not much of a tactical genius either, but I'm gradually getting there :p I used the target man technique with Sunderland with Kenwyne Jones and Darren Bent up top, and it worked really well with Jones the target man set as "to head" :) Bent scored 23 league goals whilst Jones got 18

Last edited:
That saves me making a thread myself. Big thanks Kinger

Thanks kinger. Do you have any advice on the sort of role i should give fabregas as i play with four defenders, one defensive mid, one centre mid, two advanced wingers and the two attackers. I have my fullbacks booming forward supporting the wingers and the winger crossing by the byline and putting through balls though often. Fabregas is attacking and closing down the whole pitch and playing through balls often with a free role.

Should i give Milevskyi a free role as he has pace and can dribble?

No problem lads, and Goooner - Nah don't give Milevskyi a free role as it takes away the link up play and Van Persie will be left out again. Give Fabregas that free role with just below "much" on the creative freedom slider. Give him just above normal mentality, what are your wingers work rates like? If they are high give them more of an attacking role as they will track back because of their work rate, if not, give them a bit more higher mentality than Fabregas but just below attacking. Hope that helped :)
EDIT: Also if you feel Milevskyi will be effective dribbling, put "run with ball" on often, but then make his mentality a little lower so then him and Van Persie will be still be around the same place when attacking to link up

Thanks this really helped :D

And lastly lol is zonal marking more effective than man and is a normal game speed better than quick in the respect that the players arent rushed into decisions and have time to think rather than moving quickly with short passing. And what is 'direct passing' is it like medium long passing lol

Last edited: