How to get players to become coaches?

Logam

Reaction score
Ok ive just started a career at Man Utd, both scholes and Giggs only have 1 year left on their contracts and in private chat ive suggested they become coaches at the club, both agree and ask if they can start immediately i say yes, yet when i end the conversation neither of them appear as available coaches? both have staff attributes in their profiles now but as far as i can see neither are doing any coaching whatsoever despite saying they were going to start immediately, why is this?

I had a similar problem on fm12 when i did the same thing and eventually lost both players totally at the end of the season as their playing contracts expired and i didnt want to extend them on as players i wanted them purely as coaches, neither would accept any coaching contract i offered them and just left? what am i doing wrong here? ive seen other people have got these types of players as pure coaches at clubs so i must be doing something wrong? first i assumed i needed to simply offer them a new contract but purely as coaches, yet neither of them accept? so what do i do? if i let their contracts run down until the end of the season both just end up leaving for nothing, yet i dont want to offer them new playing contracts as neither will be regulars and i want to free up their wages to spend on younger players? do i just simply have no other choice other than to offer them extended 1 year deals until they decide to retire??

Really bugging me this any help is much appreciated.

As far as I am aware players will not accept just a coaching contract if they still have a playing career. If you want them to start coaching then you will need to offer them a player coach contract. I have never heard of players signing just as coaches whilst they still have a playing career. You could offer them a extended contract as a backup player with reduced wages and as a player coach. Other than that I cannot see how you can keep them without letting them go and re-signing them as a coach when they retire from playing football.

As far as I am aware players will not accept just a coaching contract if they still have a playing career. If you want them to start coaching then you will need to offer them a player coach contract. I have never heard of players signing just as coaches whilst they still have a playing career. You could offer them a extended contract as a backup player with reduced wages and as a player coach. Other than that I cannot see how you can keep them without letting them go and re-signing them as a coach when they retire from playing football.

Thanks for the reply, the thing thats confusing me the most is after talking to both players through the interaction option they both agreed to start coaching as of now, yet they aren't, in the training section neither are listed as coaching options, which makes no sense??

As for your suggestions, i tried offering both scholes and giggs player/coach and when that failed just coach contracts yet neither would accept as the max wage im allowed to offer them is around 12k, both want over 60! so i dont know what to do, i really dont want to be giving them new contracts and wasting over 100k of wages on players ive really not got any plans to use anymore, but i dont want to lose them when they retire i want them to stay on as coaches.

Like i said in the thread in fm12 i had this exact same problem i let their contracts run out assuming they'd both retire and accept coaching contracts, they didnt, neither were even interested in discussing any sort of terms with me either after their contracts expired, it seems a bit pointless having the option to talk to players about this when even when they agree to it they just end up leaving! there must be something im not doing surely.

Asking players to start their coaching whilst still having a playing career only opens the option for them to be offered some form of player coach role. If done so then I guess you could then allow them to do their badges. I see where your coming from as I had a similar thing with Fabricio Coloccini. At 34 I thought about offering him a player coach role but he wanted £88k to renew his contract which was more than his current deal at the time. With such demands I let his contract run out and let him go at the end of the season.

Asking players to start their coaching whilst still having a playing career only opens the option for them to be offered some form of player coach role. If done so then I guess you could then allow them to do their badges. I see where your coming from as I had a similar thing with Fabricio Coloccini. At 34 I thought about offering him a player coach role but he wanted £88k to renew his contract which was more than his current deal at the time. With such demands I let his contract run out and let him go at the end of the season.

Ahh i see, i wasnt aware of that, that explains that then, i was under the assumption the moment they say "shall i start coaching now" and you say go for it they would become part time coaches who i could give tasks to with my other coaches, thats obviously not the case.

What would make more sense if that is the case though is when you go to offer them a player/coach contract they shouldnt be demanding full time player wages surely? its a bit ridiculous when you go to offer them a contract with a max limit of about 13k and their agent is demanding 80k a week! when you clearly want them mainly for coaching which fits in with the reduced wage.

See what you said there about coloccini is exactly what happened to me on fm12, i thought if i let the contract expire i could then offer them purely coaching contracts when they were free agents, but they told me in no uncertain terms where to stick it, its frustratingly complicated lol.

It seems i basically will have no choice but to keep offering them 1 year extensions until they decide to retire completely i just hope they dont confuse me offering them new contracts as me wanting them to stay on a players well into their 40's!

It would be useful if you could assign players on player coach contracts to your training schedule (working with your current coaching staff) when the player suggests starting their coaching. Even if it is part time or something, it would help them start the development of their coaching skills. I am not saying that this function is available or not as I have not had any players yet on player coach contracts but would be useful in progression of players into coaches.

the same thing just happened to me. just like as in previous fm's. fm really stinks in some aspects.

I wouldn't sign any players as coaxhwa straight after their career. Their coaching stats would stink. Let them develop for a while