JamesGHull

Reaction score
I've never had problems in previous years, but I'm lost for words at how easy it is to throw away lead you hold.

Having only had the one save so far, I have counted up 9 times where I've held 2-0 leads. I have lost 8 of those, ranging from 3-2 to 5-2.

I understand the obvious ie sticking in on contain (but not too early) but I'm finding it impossible this year.

Anyone else having this problem, or had it and resolved it? I think most games I've been 2-0 up at HT, is it just the AI's team-talks that are overpowered?

What are your halftime team talks are you sure you are not making your players overconfident? I noticed a few comebacks in my first save but i put it down to wrong team talk and going counter/defensive to early/late

Instead of going contain maybe try counter the little bit of threat from you may make them slightly less attacking.

Along with team talks ensure your players aren't fatigued towards the end of matches, this seems to be a factor in my games

I think I fall into a strange category of managers who dose the exact opposite. You're 2-0 up, why take the foot off the gas and let them back into the match? Check the match ratings and moral of the opposition, Probe the areas that are suffering and keep them on the back foot. If you sit back they will start to have more time on the ball, less pressure to deal with and more freedom to try play football. . . .the last thing you want them doing.

Note: This is a mentality I took from Coaching Real world football. I've had decent results in FM with it but it's designed to sap the moral of a real team to stop them getting a tipping point goal (clawing back to 2-1) since your team now becomes nervous, more prone to mistakes whereas their team gets new-found confidence and goes for the equalizer/win.

Half time team talks are important if you're ahead, don't be afraid to buck up their ideas to stay in front as I've seen my teams put in a stellar 45 mins only to get hockied in the second half.

If you need to close out the game because they are getting on top, I set my CB's
Good markers = Man Mark with a deeper line
Pacey and good positioning = Zonal Mark with a high line.

I'll drop my strikers to ACM's to close up the space and make them a part of the defensive unit.

Last edited:
I think I fall into a strange category of managers who dose the exact opposite. You're 2-0 up, why take the foot off the gas and let them back into the match? Check the match ratings and moral of the opposition, Probe the areas that are suffering and keep them on the back foot. If you sit back they will start to have more time on the ball, less pressure to deal with and more freedom to try play football. . . .the last thing you want them doing.

Note: This is a mentality I took from Coaching Real world football. I've had decent results in FM with it but it's designed to sap the moral of a real team to stop them getting a tipping point goal (clawing back to 2-1) since your team now becomes nervous, more prone to mistakes whereas their team gets new-found confidence and goes for the equalizer/win.

This can work very well in the right circumstances. You are right its all about the player rating/morale at half time. If you do it at the wrong time though it can be disastrous just in the same way the slightly negative guard against complacency can. All the team talks have their uses in the right circumstances. I am loving the new lets get revenge team talk as well.

I find it strange how people still disregard teamtalks as not that important. They are vital for me and can be the difference in any game.

Last edited:
It has happened to me plenty of times as well. The AI manager always gets credit after the game too. The worst thing is it happened in the last 16 of the Champions League with Celtic when I was about to put Chelsea out.

If I've got a one goal lead with 10 or so minutes remaining I drop deeper, retain possession, set a more disciplined approach and lower the tempo. Also switch to a defensive style.

When holding on to a lead in a close game I usually go defensive and waste time at around the 80 minute mark, as well as refreshing my central midfielders/full backs with 1/2 substitutes if still available. I keep my defensive line high up the pitch though as I don't want to invite too much pressure and still want to cause them problems.

This is what i do:

Winning 1:0 - At 80 minutes, close down and slow tempo. Sometimes i turn hard tackle on and change the mentality form control to standard. Other times i enable players from moving from their positions.
Winning 2:0 - At 70 minutes, close down and slow tempo. Sometimes i change the mentality to standard.

It really depends ho the game is going and who's on the other side.