LazarusLong

Reaction score
So, i'm getting ridiculously close to calling FM16 a funked up version and giving up.

I've been trying to create a working 4-2-3-1 tactic for a couple of months now with no luck.
I do OK, but i'm definitely not winning the EPL or CL with Man Utd. (1 EPL win out of 7 season by now)

Basically at this moment i'm using 3 variations of the same 4-2-3-1 tactic (Counter,Control,Attack).
I dominate possession, i don't concede (unless going all out attack, which makes sense) and i create chances.

What does create chances mean?
10-25 shots, at least 2 CCCs and 2-4 half chances per a game.
All of the shots are from inside the 16 yard box.
So, what's the problem?

Ridiculously low on target percentage (around 25% on average), atrocious conversion rate. Basically 1 out of 3 games i will draw/lose while absolutely dominating possession, game play and shots just because i'm not scoring.

Are my shots rushed? tried lowering tempo, just had less chances with the same awful conversion rate.
Are my players good enough? I think Martial, Sane, Brandt and Mata are better than average.
Are the players happy and confident? more often than not.

So please, dear awesome minds of FM-Base, what am i doing wrong?

Thank you!

View attachment 167241
View attachment 167240
View attachment 167239
View attachment 167238
View attachment 167237
View attachment 167236
View attachment 167235
View attachment 167234
View attachment 167233
View attachment 167232
View attachment 167231
View attachment 167230
View attachment 167229

Same happening to me most of the time in my FCB save, I have so many shots, but we dont score alot, not because that we miss but because their goalkeeper is like Neuer all the time, then they get 1 lucky change and their first shot on target is a goal -_-

Tbh, the limited stats do not show too much and neither does the other screenshots.

You show 3 tactics. Do you use them at random? If not, it would help to know if there is a thought process behind when to use which, why you have 3 different tactics and what exactly the plan is with each.

You need to provide space for the goal scorers. Space/time is vital. Are you attempting to do that and how? Are they getting into space or (in other words) is your plan working?

One way not to compress space is to not bombard the opposition third with too many players.

A way to create space is having players drop deep, dragging defenders with and having others attack that space. Another is having someone pull wide, dragging defenders with and someone exploiting that space.

There are many ways to utilise space.

Because your build up is so slow (the extremely short passing) you will need to create very good movement as you're giving defenses a lot of time to get set.

I assume the front 4 have their own PPMs? Would be helpful to know them too. It's possible to make general assumptions, but it may be wrong if we don't have all the info.

Why a DLF?

I meant their PPMs, not their Player Instructions. PPMs are Player Preferred Moves and you can find that in a player's profile.

Though honestly i would hope TI and PI would be enough to create a decent tactic agnostic to PPMs.
Sometimes, yes. You cannot just ignore them though.

I'm more confused than ever though. I'm trying to follow your plan, but I don't see how it will work.

You will create space on the flanks, since the inside forwards will sit narrow and cut inside. That allows the fullbacks to overlap and cross. This I see happening often, due to you not creating any space and opportunities otherwise.

You have a striker up front who will drift wide initially, but by the time the ball gets forward, he'll be on the way back inside. The 3 just behind will all want to attack the same space, leading to 4 players in and around the same area. It's just compressing play.

You're the one watching matches, so you can confirm this, if true.

Yep, that's very accurate.
Any ideas how to fix it?

Perhaps removing the "get further forward" instructions from one or both the inside forwards?

Yep, that's very accurate.
Any ideas how to fix it?

Perhaps removing the "get further forward" instructions from one or both the inside forwards?
There are a million ways to fix it.

Take the advice though : Don't have everyone attacking the same space and compressing play. You need some balance. Someone who maybe stays in their position instead of getting into the box. Maybe a winger instead of an IF. It all depends on the players you have and how you want to play.

You use balanced width with 2 attacking wingers, try using width wide and exploit either left/right flanks or the middle