nani17united

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am wondering how I can improve my Spurs squad - Ie: who should I get rid of, what position(s) do I need to invest in, etc. Also, if anybody is feeling extra generous, would you be able to give me the best roles for my players.

Standard attacking formation and line up: 4-1-2-2-1

Defoe
Van der Vaart - Modric
Bale-----------------------------Gervinho
Vidal
Asso-Ekotto - Gallas - Dawson - Corluka

Standard normal formation and line up: 4-2-3-1

Defoe
Bale - Van der Vaart - Gervinho
Vidal - Modric
Taiwo - Gallas - Dawson - Corluka

Signings

Radosav Petrovic
Gervinho
Taye Taiwo
Arturo Vidal
Darwin Quintero
Jordan Mutch
Dentinho (Loan)
Sotiris Ninis
Marc Muniesa
Marc Bartra
Pablo Sarabia

First Team Squad List

Ben Alnwick
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Gareth Bale
Vedran Corluka
Peter Crouch
Carlo Cudicini
Michael Dawson
Jermain Defoe
Dentinho (Loan from Corinthians)
Gio Dos Santos
William Gallas
Gervinho
Hilario Gomes
Tom Huddlestone
Allan Hutton
Younes Kaboul
Niko Kranjcar
Aaron Lennon
Luka Modric
Sotiris Ninis
Wilson Palacios
Radosav Petrovic
Steven Pienaar
Darwin Quintero
Sandro
Taye Taiwo
Rafael Van der Vaart
Arturo Vidal

At the moment I am trying to sell Wilson Palacios, Carlo Cudicini and Ben Alnwick. That will leave me with the defensive midfielders of Vidal, Sandro, Huddlestone and Petrovic (plus Jordan Mutch as a long term prospect). However I will only have one goalkeeper left, Hilario Gomes. So who should I sign?

What are the besty roles for my players?

Thanks in adavnce :)

I'd definitely advise against selling Palacios, I'm into my thrid season as Spurs and he's pretty much ever present in my team, an absolute rock! I sold Huddlestone instead because Sandro is also a great prospect.
I signed young goalkeeper Alphonse Areola (very well known in FM) and am bringing him through, great player as a future star, so I put him onto the bench by the end of my second season, and kept Cudicini until then.
I found I needed to invest in Centre Backs because most of Spurs ones are good, but not great. Gallas drops pretty quickly too. At this point I have signed Nicolas Otamendi and Neven Subotic and have them both in a three alongside Sebastien Bassong.
And make sure to supple Defoe as much as possible, he's a goal machine when played as a Poacher-Attack!
Good luck :)

EDIT: I also sold Dos Santos almost straight away as he's never really good enough, and got £4million for him :)

Last edited:
for a goalkeeper i bought david de gea. he is a monster but worth 17 million. also i bought neymar to go up front with defoe nd together in 20 games they have scored 52 goals!

Sergio Asenjo is a fantastic GK who will settle for being back up, and will make a great replacement for Gomes when you're ready to get rid of him. As for the defence - I would definately sign some better CB's. Try getting Chris Samba in as a stopper, and Lionel Galeano as cover (Galeano will probably take a season before he becomes a monster at the back) Assou-Ekotto is pretty poor, so i'd probably look to replace him aswell... maybe Dodo - he's very consistant and also provides a good attacking threat. Corluka is great, but dont expect him to go bombing up the park to support too many attacks... But i'd definately stick with him! Bale is very good, but I doubt that you'll see the best of Defoe with Bale on the left. Defoe is small, and not great in the air, so Bale's crosses will be lost on him. If you really want to keep Bale in the team, then I'd advise putting a target man up top. Alternatively, keep Defoe on, drop Bale and re-train Lennon to play on the left - play him as inside forward, and Defoe will score for fun.

You may want to start looking for a replacement for Gallas, maybe release comments about him so you have more of a chance of getting your man. You should look at Shawcross, Cahill, Sahko, just to name a few.

I've won the league twice in the last 2 seasons of my 5 years with Spurs, and numerous cups. I've bought in quite a few players in that time, but I honestly feel I could've done it with the original squad. I'm into my 5th season and regularly have Gomes, Dawson, Bassong, Corluka, Ekotto, Naughton, Huddlestone, Palacios, Krancjar, Lennon, VDV and Defoe.

I've won the league twice in the last 2 seasons of my 5 years with Spurs, and numerous cups. I've bought in quite a few players in that time, but I honestly feel I could've done it with the original squad. I'm into my 5th season and regularly have Gomes, Dawson, Bassong, Corluka, Ekotto, Naughton, Huddlestone, Palacios, Krancjar, Lennon, VDV and Defoe.

Nice mate!

Can I have a screenshot of your tactics/formation? Cheers

Just from looking at your lineup, i will say RB, CB, LB, CF and possibly reinstate Lennon back on the right wing.

However, i always play with Gallas/Dawson as my CB pairing and although dreadfully slow they are generally rock solid. RB i actually wait untill Walker comes back from Villa(or QPR as i edit him to play uner the grand Mr.Warnock as i hate Houllier and he never gives the young lad a game). I also play BAE, a liability, but a solid liability. Defoe will get goals but i dislike the little munchkin. Also you need a power striker- May i suggest Nikola Kalinic?

Player roles!

VdV- Inside Forward/Attack/Much creative freedom/low pressing/easy tackling/long shots often/moves into channels/roams from position/no marking

Bale- AML/Inside forward/support/Moves into channels or cuts inside/Crossing, through balls, long shot on sometimes/roams from position yes. Trust me, played right he will get 20+ goals and 20+ assists p league season as a minimum.

Defoe- Poacher/run onto ball- Nuff said

Modric- In this formation? Probably advanced playmaker/support. But i play him DLP, is awesome there.