How to install custom kits?

Jakey2303

Reaction score
I recently got some brilliant fantasy kits designed for me but I don't know how to get them into my game? I download them and put them into my 'Kits' folder, but they aren't appearing in game? Is it something to do with config files?

Hi Jakey,

Yes - you need to update the config file to include your new images. For brevity, I'm just going to assume that your team is Southampton, but if not (why not?!) the principal is the same - just find the correct folder, team name, unique ID etc.

In your game's Premier League kits folder, for example, the config file contains listings such as:

<record from="southampton_1" to="graphics/pictures/team/713/kits/home"/>
<record from="southampton_2" to="graphics/pictures/team/713/kits/away"/>
<record from="southampton_3" to="graphics/pictures/team/713/kits/third"/>

or

<record from="713_home" to="graphics/pictures/team/713/kits/home"/>
<record from="713_away" to="graphics/pictures/team/713/kits/away"/>
<record from="713_third" to="graphics/pictures/team/713/kits/third"/>

The file naming convention doesn't matter and can be mixed within a single config file. The important thing is to make sure that the reference in the line listing matches the name of your image files (minus the file extension) and is unique among all of your game's kit files. Beware of conflicts with team names like Dynamo, Inter, Nacional etc that are duplicated across several countries.

Name your new images to match the references in the config file - eg. southampton_1.png ; southampton_2.png ; southampton_3.png. Save the original images in another folder for safe keeping if you want, and then drop the new ones into the Premier League kits folder. Save the config. Go to your game and from the FM dropdown, select Preferences and click the Reload Skin button. Go to your Southampton team and the new kits will be in place.

The images have to be .png files, because that format supports transparency. They must also be sized at 220 x 220 pixels. Some that I have downloaded have been at 414 x 414 or 320 x 320, but they can be resized using a simple graphics package like Paint Pro or Paint. If your images are too big they might not appear or may appear out-of-whack (technical term).

If you're adding graphics for a brand new team, you can go into the config file, duplicate as many lines as you need and edit the filename and unique ID numbers as necessary to incorporate your new images.