How to juggle experience with youth?

No7Lukeee

Every save I make I ruin it by going all out on youth and ending up with a team full of players under 23 etc etc. And I feel it take's the realism out of the game for me but it doesn't stop me.

I always find my-self letting 30+ years old players leaving on free's even though they are not on massive wages, I never know how to juggle experience with youth.

My current QPR save is the prime example of what I mean. I Got promoted with ease and set two league records in doing so. (Most League Points and Most League Goals)

But I let all the experienced players leave on free's when they could potentially of played a massive part in my Premier League campaign. Whilst I'm not doing terribly (Currently sitting in 9th place after 20 games) I still feel I could of benefited from a few more experienced players.

I only have 3 players over 25 years old in my team, That say's it all.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

I always think that the experienced players should be at either cb or cm, I'm pretty similar to you but try to have experience in them 2 positions

You need older players as tutors to help your youth players so you can get the full potential out of them. There's nothing wrong with having players retire at your club either. You run an entire club so you need to have experience and youth constantly flowing. Have your system of what you play, then when a player is getting too old start rotating him with a player that will replace him in the long run. Even have him tutored by the older one. That's how I do it anyway and it seems to work for me.

Last edited:
I always think that the experienced players should be at either cb or cm, I'm pretty similar to you but try to have experience in them 2 positions

Bang. ^^^ spot on. Or even GK or Striker. If it's a striker you would want a physical presence IMO. I always try to push them into coaching as well. Sometimes that fails gloriously though

Its not hard to balance youth and experience. Yes, it is fun and rewarding to develop young players into world beaters who will be in your squad for years to come but at a young age their mental stats are often not as good as an experienced player. Experienced players are not only good as tutors due to higher mental stats but they also effect how the perform on the pitch. High determination and work rate can make up for a players decreasing physical stats and so can their experience. Just because they are over 30 don't assume they do not have a role to play in your team.

My Maribor squad has blended the two well. Being in my 9th season a number of the players who have been with me for a while are pushing 30, I played Marcos Tavares until he was 34 and I just signed 31 year-old Sven Bender. Tomas Necid is banging in goals at the age of 30, Tavares's final season with the club was record setting, and Sven Bender will bring some needed stability and experience to my midfield. Experienced players are an important part of a team.

Back