xzyzyx

Reaction score
I know it might sound weird, but what is the option that makes players defend?? Some of my midfielders do not defend unless the other team attacks slowly, it's getting annoying.. What should i modify to make them defend as well?? Like pressure or something.

Also, what is the attribute that makes a player be participative and what is the attribute that makes players "fight" for balls??

Thank you

I know it might sound weird, but what is the option that makes players defend?? Some of my midfielders do not defend unless the other team attacks slowly, it's getting annoying.. What should i modify to make them defend as well?? Like pressure or something.

Also, what is the attribute that makes a player be participative and what is the attribute that makes players "fight" for balls??

Thank you

You could change the roles of the players- make your midfielders ball winning mids, anchor mids, def mids. These types of mids tackle and defend.

Lower their mentality, raise their closing down, make them tackle harder: there are a whole range of ways, but those are three big ones.

It's not so simple as breaking them down into a single attribute each, but Work Rate controls how much, well, work they do and thus is relevant to your second query. Aggression makes them 'fight' harder for balls, as does determination and work rate.

You could change the roles of the players- make your midfielders ball winning mids, anchor mids, def mids. These types of mids tackle and defend.

But if i change their roles to defensive roles, they won't be as creative as they are supposed to be.. I just want them to help the defense, not act as defenders.

But if i change their roles to defensive roles, they won't be as creative as they are supposed to be.. I just want them to help the defense, not act as defenders.

Then the above advice is what your looking for- lower their mentality to normal or just above defensive or defensive. That won't impact on their creativity too much compared to completely changing the role

Ok i changed their mentality but there's not alot of difference.. any other tips?

What if i change their roles to a more defensive role, but keep the same advanced settings of an offensive role?? How would that affect the player?? More defensive, more offensive, neutral..??

Thanks again

Last edited:
Ok i changed their mentality but there's not alot of difference.. any other tips?

What if i change their roles to a more defensive role, but keep the same advanced settings of an offensive role?? How would that affect the player?? More defensive, more offensive, neutral..??

Thanks again

That wouldn't effect anything at all.

Thanks again

What players are we talking about here, exactly? If you're playing a midfield two of Pastore and Ganso, while fantastic players, if you're trying to alter them to defend, all you'll achieve is losing their attacking ability and gaining no defensive output out of them. Your players have to fit tactics as much as tactics have to fit them.

What players are we talking about here, exactly? If you're playing a midfield two of Pastore and Ganso, while fantastic players, if you're trying to alter them to defend, all you'll achieve is losing their attacking ability and gaining no defensive output out of them. Your players have to fit tactics as much as tactics have to fit them.
I highly disagree. Players need to fit tactics, that way you always have backup solution. When you base your tactic around one or two player/s, and they get injured, well, you're ******. I agree with everything else.
Try playing 'balanced' instead 'control' or 'attacking', push your defense higher, change role to one of your cent mids into more defensive role ( like ball winning mid or deep lying playmaker - defend).

I highly disagree. Players need to fit tactics, that way you always have backup solution. When you base your tactic around one or two player/s, and they get injured, well, you're ******. I agree with everything else.
Try playing 'balanced' instead 'control' or 'attacking', push your defense higher, change role to one of your cent mids into more defensive role ( like ball winning mid or deep lying playmaker - defend).

If your tactic doesn't bring out the best in your players, then it doesn't matter how good they are, they won't perform to their best. If you try and play Ganso with Pastore in a midfield two, what you do tactically is irrelevant, it won't work out effectively. It's a balancing act, you have to make a tactic to bring the best from your players, and you need to bring in players to suit a tactic rather than force them into roles they're uncomfortable with.

If your tactic doesn't bring out the best in your players, then it doesn't matter how good they are, they won't perform to their best. If you try and play Ganso with Pastore in a midfield two, what you do tactically is irrelevant, it won't work out effectively. It's a balancing act, you have to make a tactic to bring the best from your players, and you need to bring in players to suit a tactic rather than force them into roles they're uncomfortable with.
I would play Ganso DLP and Pastore as BtB :3
If you play flat 4-4-2, why would you have Ganso and Pastore in first 11 ?

People are stupid and buy lots of players?

That's the point I'm making? We don't know what players he wants to 'make defensive'. He could have whoever in there. Hence, you need players to fit tactics, and tactics to fit players.

Thank you

First of all, the option would be closing down and change it to whole pitch, and the attribute to make them more busy or "fight" for the ball in aggression!!! some players just don't have that part to there game, for example, Ganso...

That's the point I'm making? We don't know what players he wants to 'make defensive'. He could have whoever in there. Hence, you need players to fit tactics, and tactics to fit players.
All i'm saying is that if you make players fit tactics, it would be much better than focusing tactic around one or two players, right ?

People are stupid and buy lots of players?
Not necessarily stupid. Maybe they are mentally disabled :$

ps. Has anyone noticed how this smiley (H) looks like
Squirtle_s.jpg
?

Nuri Sahin and Xabi Alonso.. they both have decent defense attributes even though their strenghts are passing and creativity.. but once again, i don't want them to defend, i want them to help the defense.

Sahin - Deep lying playmaker - support, Xabi Box to Box maybe ?

All i'm saying is that if you make players fit tactics, it would be much better than focusing tactic around one or two players, right ?

Not necessarily stupid. Maybe they are mentally disabled :$

ps. Has anyone noticed how this smiley (H) looks like
Squirtle_s.jpg
?

And I'm saying if you force players to fit a tactic, they won't perform, because it's not optimising their ability. By your logic, there's no reason Gasperini's 3-4-3 should have failed miserably, and Sneijder should have been able to perform as well as he has in previous seasons. I never said you build a tactic to suit a couple of players, I said you build one to suit the team, and you get players to fit that tactic.

I'm playing them both as deep lying playmaker-support