How to make a short central defender who is poor in the air perform well...

Ursulla

Reaction score
I've noticed going through the match report that those central defenders get low rates and the explanation line says that he was poor in the air...But what about other aspects of his game...If all his defensive attribues are ok and he plays well why the jumping is the one which dectates always his rating...He was born short and he wants to plays as central defender...
What tips you can instruct him to prform well and get high ratings even if he is poor in the air...

He may want to play as a Central Defender but you're clearly putting him in situations where his height is affecting his performances. Javier Mascherano played as a CB for Barcelona for 2 years and he's 5'7". They played a high line where height is not an issue. Who needs to jump for a header on the halfway line with a condensed midfield while there's a covering CDM.

All players have weaknesses. It's your job as a manager to protect him form play that will exploit his weakness. You need to ensure that you won't come under pressure form crosses or be pushed back. This is difficult to do but you bought/have a short CB. To get the best out of him, don't put him in situations where he needs to jump for the ball.

Exactly what brendn said dont put your cb in a situation were he has to head the ball. I play a high line and my cb has great pace but is only 5"9, by playing a high line theres less chances that he will be defending deep and more susceptible to crosses.

I've noticed going through the match report that those central defenders get low rates and the explanation line says that he was poor in the air...But what about other aspects of his game...If all his defensive attribues are ok and he plays well why the jumping is the one which dectates always his rating...He was born short and he wants to plays as central defender...
What tips you can instruct him to prform well and get high ratings even if he is poor in the air...
I play a high line and my cb has great pace but is only 5"9
o.png