How to make defense perform well?

Hancuryahudi

Reaction score
Hi..

Can anyone tell me how make sure our defense marking and tackling very well to avoid the more goals from opponents? Which one is better 'Zonal Marking' or 'Man Marking'?

Is it better we use Tight Marking? My defense are Vidic, Ferdinand and Sakho.;)

Last edited:
Add at least two more players to defence - one as a DMC, one to make a back 4 :p

Last team I remember playing 3 at the back as standard was Capello's Roma (they played 3-4-1-2) but they switched to 5-3-2 every time they defended which is very hard to have happen in FM. :)

If you're really going to play a back 3, then having the 'side' centrebacks able to play as DR and DL (depending on their side) will help when they're covering the wings.

Zonal or man-marking won't make too much difference, but obviously depends on your players' skills in marking or positioning. For a top team, zonal is probably better as it means your back 3 won't be double marking anyone, although you could play 2 man markers with the middle centreback played as a 'sweeper' on zonal. Tight or loose marking depends on what kind of player they are facing (although tight is usually better if you've got pacy defenders like Ferdinand).

But you'll definitely need a midfielder able to win the ball and cover the defence for you too :)