bluenose_rob

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I managed to make my Derby side very hard to break down, and very solid at the back, conceding very few goals, and grinding results out, which saw me reach the play-offs before being knocked out in the semi's on penalties!

Now....I have started a fresh season with my hometown team Birmingham City. In reality, they are a very difficult team to beat, and don't stop running until last minute, also conceding very few goals. However, despite using the exact same tactics I used for Derby, we seem to get steam-rolled by most teams in the division, including Wigan! (No disrespect)

Can anybody help me make my Birmingham team a little more realistic?

Cheers!

Remember that they may need time to get used to the tactic, but try different team talks, and rotate the players so they dont get tired. Also try talking to them individually (for those who are performing worst) and tell them they've been disappointing, and usually, they were respond positively and say they'll play better. Hope that helps :)

Cheers mate! Although I dropped Beasuejour and Hleb into the reserves in pre-season, as I wanted them to take part in some smaller games to build up their fitness, and they have fell out with me and won't talk to me!

The first question i would ask my self is exactly what made you rock solid in defensive when playing with Derby. Was it that you denied the opposition space?. Was it that you restricted them to long shots, not conceding any from them. Was it that you had a very high possession ?. If you can pin down these things, have a look at some matches with brum and see if your players take the same defensive positions, if the oppositions manage to beat their man more often or perhaps am the opposition playing a different approach

Cheers mate! With Derby it seemed to be that we just defended really well, and got men behind the ball!
We always seemed to score early and sit on the lead! Something I am trying to do with Brum!

You might also need to consider the roles, perhaps the Birmingham players arent suitable to the roles that the derby players were?