How to make that step up in quality...

vKompany

Reaction score
I've been battling in the Blue Square Premier for what will be my 4th season at the end of this season. Improving each year in position but I always miss out on the play-off's by a point or two. My side don't seem to see games out sometimes which loses my points but I never seem to make the full step up in terms of quality.

In the first two seasons of the Blue Square Premier I was relegated and promoted.
3rd Season = 12th
4th Season = 7th
5th Season = 6th
6th Season = Currently in January and in 8th.

Lack of money is a problem as well as over-spending on wages and I kept wages below £600 but that's recently increased to £800 due to new players contracts and the media's expectation of 1st place.

Where they found that I was going to end first after missing out on the play-off's for two seasons running I haven't a clue.

I seem to drop games against easier teams when the result matters. For example I would reach lets say a point away from the play-off's and then lose, never entering it.

I'm in season 6, and hopefully you guys can give me some advice as to seeing games out, beating easier sides but most importantly as the question is asking "how to make that step up" from a team that keep missing out on the play-off's to a side that can get into the play-off's with a shout of promotion.

Thanks

For finances, cancel your pre season fixtures and organise friendlies against teams you will get the most money against. in my barnet files we normally have pre season friendlies against teams from the **** end of nowhere but at 28k a pop you'll be financially stable even if you do go slightly overboard with wages. Next thing I do is to release any players I can't sell who are on more than they are worth. Then, find a good parent club. Not only can you get some cracking loan signings (I once got wellington silva on loan from arsenal who went on to score 45 goals and secure me promotion to the prem), but you can get cash from them and in rare instances you can also get a free upgrade of your facilities, which brings me to my next point. If you can, keep your facilities and backroom staff to the highest standard possible. This is probably THE MOST important thing to keep an eye on, as better facilities and staff-better and healthier players. A moderately talented fit squad is infinitely better than a very talented unfit one. finally, get any part time players who will feature in your plans on to full time contracts. That way they can benefit full from training. I hope this helps. Oh, and keep your tactics simple. It's pretty hard to play champagne football in the lower leagues, considering the pitches and opposition. I hope this helps.

I'm doing everything you say as it is just to keep the club running. This financially benefits my team to stop me hitting administration really, and I figured out the end of next season is 2018 and I have a load of players who I won't be able to keep on the wage books simply because of their asking (youngsters who have developed into my first-team). However this clear-out come the end of next season might be a good thing is some ways just to clear-out some and get my wage budget more substantial, not that it isn't at the moment.

However it still doesn't answer the question of taking the step-up. The media predicted me to finish 1st out of the bloom without reaching a play-off yet. If I don't reach the play-off's that my job done and dusted, unemployed come end of the season. This is also the final season of my contract and with the board having to inject the odd £50k into me, numerous of times this season they might not even afford to offer me a new contract. Not the point, I will be unemployed if I don't make the play-off's.

But what do I need to make that step-up? Its not financially, its team-wise. Do I need to sign a striker to bag me more goals, are my wingers not doing the job? Only I can tell, personally my defence isn't doing a good job but with no money to change it around nor any decent loans.

In terms of strikers, 1 shot on target in 13 attempts just isn't good enough. Any solution to how to get them to hit the target more often?

How can I get my goalkeeper to keep a few more clean-sheets. The defensive positioning isn't working with my defence, man-marking, zonal-marking not working. Cover & Stopper isn't working any more, I just need the defence to tighten up and stop letting balls through so easily.

Any ideas on how? And advice to make that step-up in terms of quality as a team because I need to reach the play-off's and I'm hanging 6 points outside it and I'm not missing it for a third season running as this time I'll lose my job.

Thanks