How to master opposition's tactics?

Christer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I am a new member of this forum but I have been playing FMH for 2-3 years now. I am sorry if I awaken a rested topic, but I have not seen any other threads related to my question.

Right now I am playing as Southampton in the EPL, and I am finding it difficult to be competitive with the opposition. Surely, I fully expected to struggle knowing the other teams with stronger players and payrolls, but my team is in the least bit competitive. For example, my last three games I drew 1-1 against Arsenal, lost to Man City 3-1 and lost to Tottenham 3-0. My question relates to my team'a competitiveness and ability to have a fair amount of highlight moments to score, instead of having none to one per game.

I have noticed that how you perform as a team strongly relates to one's tactics. Right now I am playing a 4-2(CM)-3-1 with a balanced approach and mixed passing, normal tackling, and no to all options except pressure. However, my question doesn't relate to altering my tactic, unless that is the solution. I am curious if there is any merit to passing style and your approach to the match as it relates to your opponent's tactics. For example, would a short passing style be better suited against a 4-4-1-1, or should you have a defensive approach against a 5-3-2 formation of your opponent? I have experimented, but have found no foregone conclusion. What I mean is sometimes, when I face a team in a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2, I have had better results with an attacking approach to match the opponent's attacking formation, but other times my team faired better with a defensive approach against the opponent's attacking formation. Does anyone have any insight into this at all? This is a frustrating topic for me as I would like to make halftime adjustments to my tactics to perform better against my opponent, but I am not sure how to read and react to my opponent's formation, or if my tactics play a minor role in my teams performance.

Thank you to anyone that tries to assist or help me out with an answer, even if not definitive. Have a good day!

Change your team settings to Attacking > press more > committed > short passing
and change roles in your 4-2-3-1 to Wbk Wbk Ctr Ctr BWM DLP ADP Inf Inf Pcr

Change your team settings to Attacking > press more > committed > short passing
and change roles in your 4-2-3-1 to Wbk Wbk Ctr Ctr BWM DLP ADP Inf Inf Pcr
That's not what he asked, don't just post without reading his original post.

However, I'm not sure it you can counteract the opposition's tactics on FMH, I know you can on FM, since it is such a simplified version. You'd have to ask someone with more experience than me, though, try Marc Vaughan on Twitter (if you have it). I doubt you can make any real difference by changing your tactics in accordance to the opposition, though.