PussEKatt

Reaction score
I have been playing F.M. off and on since F.M.2010 and I have won nothing at all,no cups and no titles.I know I could use something like FMRT but I dont want to win stuff like that.
So, can someone explain to me how to pick which tactic is best for my team.I have seen threads where people say look at your players and pick a tactic that suites your team, but "how do you do that ?!

I have looked at my team and...the best tacklers are all defenders,the best finishers are the strikers and the best passers are in my midfield.So what do you actually look for when assessing your team ?

Any help/tips would be very much appreciated.

The attributes, personalities and preferred moves will generally give you a very good indication of what roles the players' are suited for. Personally I don't pick a tactic that suits my team, I pick players that suit my tactics. That's why I tend to make a lot of changes in the first two transfer windows, and usually the team doesn't perform the way I want until January, unless I'm lucky.

I favor the 4-2-3-1, so I'm always looking for CDs with great defensive qualities, full backs with good defensive and offensive qualities, one central midfielder with good defensive qualities and one with good offensive and decent defensive qualities, an AMC with great creative qualities, AML/R with great technique and preferred foot opposite of the side they're playing on (IF), and a pacey striker with good technique and allround good offensive qualities.

So if you prefer, say, 4-1DM-2-2-1, you would have to find players with the qualities that suit your formation and tactic, ie a strong DM who doesn't often let his opponent past him, and a balancing midfielder + a creative midfielder. If you're managing a smaller team, it would probably make more sense to adapt the tactic to your players, at least in the early stages. Also remember to try to balance your team, so you have a good blend of defensive and offensive qualities in the team. For instance, if you're playing with 2 CMs and no DM, like I do, it's important to have (at least) one midfielder who's defensive minded.

But considering how many factors are involved, there are no easy answers to this. Trial and error is always a good option if you don't have a set tactic in mind. Even with a good tactic you can't find yourself in a losing streak, as things like morale, man management, opposition etc. all play their parts.

Thanks for that.I understand what you are saying and I will take your advice and see if I can win something at last.
I prefer attacking football, so I suppose I will go for something like 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

read the team report , make a formation based on that. tactical instructions is better left minimal the more simple the better. also clicking on the position shows what stats you need to play in the role you have chosen

Example:

Playing a wide 451 in Benfica, means you play with wingers, since gaitan and salvio work better assisting.
Playing in Bayern, with the same tactic, you will have to change the wingers to IFs so you can take the best of Ribery of the left and Robben on the right.

So, you have to check players favourite role, 1st of all. Don't play Messi as a winger just because you want. Play him as IF so he cuts inside more often: That's his role!

Now, just check all players best roles in your team and make a tactic based on that. Of course that you have a favoured tactic and some players don't fit on it. If so, just change slowly so it won't affect the team performance. Another example, i don't like Robben play style, so when i sell him i will try to find a player more suitable for that role, and for me it could be Draxler, to get more assists, rather then goals.

Then, of you go for some trial and error and see if the options you choose fit on the game, because sometimes it's not the players fault ;)