How to play against ultra-defensive teams?

Haiku

Reaction score
Playing with Sunderland and beat Real Madrid in a Champions League match. My next match was against Burnley at home - the worst team in Premiership. I started with the same 11 of the match against Real, the strategy was attacking, and I told the guys that I expect victory. Match ended 0-0 with full domination for my team. Replayed the match several times (not normally do) and I managed several times to beat, but very unconvincing and almost always with a goal from set-pieces. I tried all kinds of strategies - Attacking, Control, Overload, even Counter. With high and low defensive line, fast and slow tempo and so on. Nothing helps. It's that this is a team that plays ultra-defensive. I beat Manchester City 4-0, and it is logical to beat Burnley at least 4-5 goals difference, but I think this is impossible. My question is how to break the ultra-defensive teams but not with 1-2 goal difference, but convincing Win?

think about it... they WILL ALWAYS set out defensively, it is a smaller team... its tough to break them down...
you came out of Europe, its quite realistic you struggle that weekend :)

it just depends on the day, you should make 1 or 2 changes :) let the other guys prove themselves and they most probably "watched" you against Real and could have adapted to your tactics (thats a bit far fetched, however I am referring to the AI learning your tactic if not tweaked every now and again)

Bit of a strange idea but try playing more defensively, sometimes the other team might get a false sense of security and start playing a little more attacking at which point you go gung ho and smash them.

I am strugling against weaker teams playing defensive tactic too but mostly only in away matches.
Two things seemed to help in my game:
1. never say to the whole team you expect a win. Say it only to your captain and to those players who look overconfidend in the warm up. The other players should hear "for the fans" or "pick up where you left of"
2. I adjusted my tactic to control and to a little slower tempo and deep defensive line for this kind of matches.

But I think it is the set up of the match engine. Playing against weaker teams, specially in league cups goes hand in hand with too much over confidence.

This happened to me:
attachment.php

I am replaying it again, and no matter what I do I can't manage more than 2-0.. It's really hard to break their defense. I pray to play against Man Utd or Liverpool in the League Cup.. don't want to face Burnley.. :S

Last edited:
lol. I think you are stressing about this too much. If you could walk out regular 5-0 winners against teams with 11 men behind the ball then defensive tactics would be a total failure. They are not so you could expect some tight score lines. I understand your frustration and you have tried so many different tactics... Don't read too much into it! Take the 3 points you would get anyway and move onto the next game.

lol. I think you are stressing about this too much. If you could walk out regular 5-0 winners against teams with 11 men behind the ball then defensive tactics would be a total failure. They are not so you could expect some tight score lines. I understand your frustration and you have tried so many different tactics... Don't read too much into it! Take the 3 points you would get anyway and move onto the next game.
agree with u..me sometimes also have same problem with u..but me is different..it is not about the tactic they used but the goalkeeper is the problem..their goalkeeper is i hate the most..sometimes my team just only won 1-0 bacause of their goalkeeper..total shot is 31 on target 29 so can u imagined that???
just move on to next match and win another match..enough for me i guess..

Yea true. Keepers so often have monster games and there isn't much you can do.

Maybe in match preparation select Attacking Set-Pieces when playing vs defensive minded teams. On the previous patch 11.2 I was doing it with Juventus and it was devastating with Del Piero as set-piece taker and monsters like Chiellini and Bonucci attacking near and far posts. There is basically no defense against set-pieces since it's their players' physical attributes against your players'.

Last edited: