How to play (and get the best out of) Rooney & Van Persie??

Logam

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with these 2? seems ridiculous to say i know but im really not sure how best to play them, should i play them as a front 2 or with Rooney in the AMC position behind Van Persie? and in what roles? its annoying that they both seem best as DLF but that role dosnt really suit playing with 1 main striker and you cant have a front 2 both dropping off and having no spearhead to play off or run onto through balls from midfield.

Really need some help on this one, im currently edging towards playing them as a flat out front 2 with Rooney as an advanced forward and Van Persie as a deep lying forward, but am struggling to get much out of either atm :S

Its really frustrating because they're both individually brilliant players but i cant seem to get any sort of partnership that suits both of them.

Never actually tried it but I've heard about them both playing as DLF and Chicharito as Poacher.

If you're starting off, Van Persie struggles to blend into the team. It's nearly the end of the first season and I'm still getting notifications during matches that's he's struggling to blend into the squad.

You could try rotating them between being the forward and AMC. Personally I wouldn't have them on at the same time. Having Rooney and Hernandez is a great great partnership.

If you're starting off, Van Persie struggles to blend into the team. It's nearly the end of the first season and I'm still getting notifications during matches that's he's struggling to blend into the squad.

You could try rotating them between being the forward and AMC. Personally I wouldn't have them on at the same time. Having Rooney and Hernandez is a great great partnership.

Really?? thats annoying because thats clearly not realistic when you look at what hes doing for United in the real world, im tempted to get rid if thats the case i mean hes 29 as it is, theres not really much point waiting a year for a someone of that age to blend in with the team, and his value is obviously going to nose dive soon enough to, its frustrating because it should be easy given the quality of these 2, and yet i havnt a clue how to get them performing.

Might give it a go and play them both as deep lying forwards for now, cant personally see how that can work but nothing else is.

I play them as a front 2, both DLF attack with good success.

Could play them both as Complete Forwards, one support the other attack, and set them to switch positions. Makes it harder to mark and they will take turns dropping deeper. I've tried it in a couple of matches, not enough to get any results, plus van Paper was injured a lot, as usual.

Really?? thats annoying because thats clearly not realistic when you look at what hes doing for United in the real world, im tempted to get rid if thats the case i mean hes 29 as it is, theres not really much point waiting a year for a someone of that age to blend in with the team, and his value is obviously going to nose dive soon enough to, its frustrating because it should be easy given the quality of these 2, and yet i havnt a clue how to get them performing.

Might give it a go and play them both as deep lying forwards for now, cant personally see how that can work but nothing else is.

Yep, I'm probably going to sell him off at the end of this season too.

Personally I wouldn't play them both because neither of them are that fast, and I believe that they're essentially the same type of player so you'd rather want to add a poacher to the mix to add greater dimension to your team. My example would be the sort of stuff happening at the Wigan-Man U game yesterday.

I haven't played them both in the same team because that didn't work out for me! However, when I play my 4-2-3-1 with Rooney/van Persie in that striker role as a Deep Lying Forward, there is a lot of success! I don't like Rooney in the game so I bought Falcao as well and I'm about to sell Rooney (5th season) but they're both good in the Deep Lying Forward role.

I've got them playing brilliantly together I've said this elsewhere, so I'll copy-paste: Personally I find RVP ineffective as a lone striker, not figured out why though. I have ended up putting him at AMR as attacking, advanced playmaker with Rooney or Hernandez up front, in 29 starts there he's racked up 13 goals and 15 assists, so it's working. This is in a very fluid, attacking 4231 with Kagawa in the centre as Attacking midfielder, with a defensive deep lying playmaker and supporting ballwinner in central midfield (Cabaye and Fletcher/McCarthy).

First game with Utd:
RVP and Chicharito starting as strikers. Trequartista RVP & Poacher Chicharito.
Rooney retrained to MC starting as Central Midfielder 'Attack'.
= All performed above 7.50, Rooney still scoring a lot from midfield. Zero problems with RVP settling.

*Game file disrupted

Second game with Utd:
Tried exactly the same as above - RVP & Chicharito all day.
Changed Rooney's role to 'Box to Box Midfielder' - due to form not quite up to that of the previous game - will let you know how it plays out

I haven't played with them (I'm an Arsenal fan so don't plan to :/ ) but I'd suggest Rooney as a DLF and RvP as either a Treq., a Poacher or a Complete-forward. As I said, I have no experience with either of them though, but just my opinion on how they'd play best together. :)