MurrayTheMac

Reaction score
I've tried getting into Football Manager several times over the years. I really would like to play, but every time I get frustrated at one thing: the inaccessibility. Losing and not having a clue why you're losing is the most off-putting thing in any game.

I don't know squat about football tactics. I would love to learn, but every time I've come to the community to try and do that, there's no visible guides for total newbies. It's useful to know what training schedules I should use and how to get the best out of half-time team talks ... but when it comes to absolute basic level stuff, I've never found anything good.

What I want is to learn not just what works, but why stuff works. What elements in my players I should be looking for and how to set-up a tactic and style of play that compliments them. All I really want, I guess, is the capability to learn, and not just follow advice. Is there no guide out there somewhere that suits this need?

best thing to do really is play with the team you really know well. Then when one tactic goes wrong you know who to shift where and how to make them play... once you get used to that start playing with tougher teams!!

I really recomend that you should take a "ride" and read tactics & training threads as you can learn the different stiles of football... I think that you should watch threads about josé mourinho, they can be inspiring...
I think that you should watch some football matches as well...English Premier League could be a good start...

this is the very same problem that every real life manager faces. Finding out what's wrong. Don't worry, you are not alone. I think you need to start analyze tactics and finding out yourself what's wrong. Reading the tactics and training threads will do good too.

Start of with a team where it is almost impossible to lose, I mean like Real Madreid or Barcelona. They are the only two stand outs from that league and also Man City with all the money they have.

Last edited:
Simple really. Select a team that you know very well/or you support. Copy the exact tactics they have in real life, if they play passing football you then select passing type to short etc. Then select near enough the best starting 11 in real life terms, and work around that!

I first started on championship manager as Swansea, after following them for 9 years it became easy by just copying the real life tactics and team settings! Good luck.