How to play Gabby Agbonlahor and Christian Benteke

SFolio

Reaction score
Just looking for some help on where to play Gabby and Benteke and what roles to play them, any advice?

I did TM(s) and AF(A) and worked ok, best was with Benteke TM(A)...and Gabby as an IF(A) on the left wing

I played Benteke as an TM, with Agbonlahor as a poacher (ticked move into channels). Benteke was in middle for crosses/rebounds

If you're going to use them both up front then TM & P would be the obvious combination. However, you should consider training Agbonlahor to a wing, use him as an IF and utilise Benteke as a CF.

Cant get anything out of them. 3 League games in, i've only scored 2, both corners, both DC's. Benteke has had 3 shots in 3 games, none on target. I've tried to use an AMC to supply him but no luck. Gabby has had 5 shots in 3(1) games as a combination as a AML(IF) and STC(P), none on target either. I have 'Work Ball into Box' selected, but this is only to limit long shots. Really running out of ideas now.

Cant get anything out of them. 3 League games in, i've only scored 2, both corners, both DC's. Benteke has had 3 shots in 3 games, none on target. I've tried to use an AMC to supply him but no luck. Gabby has had 5 shots in 3(1) games as a combination as a AML(IF) and STC(P), none on target either. I have 'Work Ball into Box' selected, but this is only to limit long shots. Really running out of ideas now.

Try playing with a Trequartista in the AMC role.

Play quick fluid football and this should work, it's worked for me at clubs where I play the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Still need help. Benteke just isn't getting the ball anywhere near goal, so therefore cannot score. I desperately need help on how to get him the ball closer to goal, as he just isn't a threat.

I'm actually quite worried about him. After 8 BPL games, he has 30 offsides. The 2nd highest is 18. In my last game against Sunderland (Who had Vergini and O'Shea at DC) he had 5 offsides and 0 shots. He has 1.45 shots on target per game for us (Aston Villa), but 2.36 for Belgium (i do realise that Belgium are a better team, but come on) 3 goals in 8 for us, 4 in 4 for Belgium. 3 in 8 doesn't seem bad, but he is the main goalscorer in my team, and he's been non-existent for the most part, really need help please.

This is getting a decent amount of views but limited replies. Surely someone has had success with Benteke?

They don't work together, simple as. Due to Agbonlahor liking balls in behind and Benteke favouring the aerial route. However, if you play Agbonlahor as an IF on LAM you can have great success, with Weimann or Albrighton on the other side. I prefer Albrighton, as a winger who is a good crosser of the ball. Make sure at least one of your 3 midfielders is attacking, so can feed on Benteke's knock downs in and around the area. Finally, have Benteke as an AF so he isn't simply used in the air, as his finishing is very good. On my Villa save, Benteke won the golden boot in the first season and made the tots. Agbonlahor scored 13 league goals and got 7 assists. I went on to sell Benteke to Chelsea in the summer for 37M.

They don't work together, simple as. Due to Agbonlahor liking balls in behind and Benteke favouring the aerial route. However, if you play Agbonlahor as an IF on LAM you can have great success, with Weimann or Albrighton on the other side. I prefer Albrighton, as a winger who is a good crosser of the ball. Make sure at least one of your 3 midfielders is attacking, so can feed on Benteke's knock downs in and around the area. Finally, have Benteke as an AF so he isn't simply used in the air, as his finishing is very good. On my Villa save, Benteke won the golden boot in the first season and made the tots. Agbonlahor scored 13 league goals and got 7 assists. I went on to sell Benteke to Chelsea in the summer for 37M.
Thanks for the reply. Since my last post however, with Gabby injured, i have used Benteke and Weimann together up front. Benteke now has 9 goals in 22, but of course, got injured for 3 months, just as Gabby was coming back. Since Gabby's return, he has been a striker, with 5 goals in his last 4, cant wait to get them both playing together!

I would use Benteke upfront on his own and id sell Gabby hes average at best and big wages and can get about ?8-10m and can bring in better players Kasp Kusk,Snodgrass(Utter Beast) Marko Marin. Ricardo Alverez. Maxi Moralez

When I played as villa, I had two tactics. One had benteke as a complete forward and gabby as a inside forward and the other tactic is with 3 stickers, again with benteke as CF and gabby as advanced forward (I think)

I found that I really like Gabby and have often bought him in over saves. Fast and homegrown.

When I played as villa, I had two tactics. One had benteke as a complete forward and gabby as a inside forward and the other tactic is with 3 stickers, again with benteke as CF and gabby as advanced forward (I think)

I found that I really like Gabby and have often bought him in over saves. Fast and homegrown.
The only thing that i've found with Gabby is he's inconsistent. 5 goals in 4 games, but only 1 in the other 13.