TheRiddl3R

Reaction score
so, I play a short controlling game as my fav, but it sems to struggle when playing on long pitches
On normal size/ small i'm getting on well and get my wins with no worries. but on long pitches it seems pure luck when i score (crosses from suport wingbacks standing on the sideline floating in the farcorner and stuff like that.)

as i said i play a 4-2-3-1-deep short/control how do i improve on long pitches without getting into direct/long passing ( a form of football i detest)

any tips or should i just accept that the game programmers like kick and rush more than i do?

on a side note, wth is up with fairplay. dude gets injured team kicks ball out of bounds other team throws it out for a new throwin next team throws it down to the first team...... lulz Oo is there someway to fix that( offside too but thats every game not just fm and is apparently *very* hard to program.

If you listen to your scouts pre-match report, he says the long pitch favours a direct passing game.

I have 2 versions always ready of my current tactic being used. I tend to favour a short to medium style of passing. To take into account playing on a long pitch OR a WET pitch, I use my DIRECT passing version of my tactic - this does usually get more positive results ( also use 'Pass to Feet' shouts on a wet surface).

PS: I tend to play NARROW diamond tactical formations; I'm not certain if short-passing conventional formations ( eg: 4-4-2 ) using offensive wide players are transferable to a direct-passing version of the tactic.

Sometimes, like in real life, you have to win ugly - if you keep your home pitch to minimum dimensions, you should only have to use a direct passing tactic for about 15-20% of your games.

:)

Last edited:
well i play a short passing game on the largest pitch, and IRL barcelona do it on an huge pitch at the nou camp, so its nothing to do with the programmers preferring kick and rush. scouts say use direct passing on a long pitch because the defence will be further up the pitch and you can counter with balls over the top

well i play a short passing game on the largest pitch, and IRL barcelona do it on an huge pitch at the nou camp, so its nothing to do with the programmers preferring kick and rush. scouts say use direct passing on a long pitch because the defence will be further up the pitch and you can counter with balls over the top

IRL and game mechanics are two very diffrent things mate^^

IRL barca moves around the pitch the don't use it all all the time a style that will tire the players but is very effectiv but does not seem to be possible to play in th game. In the game if you tell a winger/wingback to hugh the thouchline they will do so even when it is a bad move.

so it is very much dependent on some programmers deciding that long pitches favors direct play and short pithes favoring short play.

the question is, have anyone found a way of getting around this without having to resort to kick and rush

**scouts say use direct passing on a long pitch because the defence will be further up the pitch and you can counter with balls over the top**

^is kick and rush

Exactly like themadsheep said, long pitch means there is more space behind the defenders. I think this is exactly what the scout says too. They say it "favours" a direct style, because there is more distance to cover and more opportunities for fast players to get on the end of long passes; they don't say that a short passing game won't work. My understanding is that it just opens up the field for faster players and longer passes, I don't see any logical reason why it would automatically make short passes as ineffective as you are saying.

To be honest I almost always play short passing because, like you, I also don't like watching my players kicking the ball way up the pitch just hoping somebody can get to it. I don't really experience the severe problems you're having when playing on a larger pitch, could it be more due to playing away? I'm assuming the only time you're playing a long pitch is away...

Other factors which could possibly make short passing not work as well (I'm just going to throw some ideas out, they may not all apply to your problem specifically):

-First, the basics: poor mental and technical: passing (duh), anticipation, decisions, creativity, positioning, off the ball, speed stats etc. Not saying you don't know this already, but it's worth saying
-Your players may have too much creative freedom, making more mistakes away from home
-raining, snowing, bad pitch condition.
-opponents have better motivation in front of their home crowd, and play more aggressively. I know that's obvious but they'll be working harder on interceptions, closing you down, marking tightly etc. Maybe compare your pass percentages home and away?

In short, I think it's probably a combination of things, not so much simply playing on a long pitch.

Exactly like themadsheep said, long pitch means there is more space behind the defenders. I think this is exactly what the scout says too. They say it "favours" a direct style, because there is more distance to cover and more opportunities for fast players to get on the end of long passes; they don't say that a short passing game won't work. My understanding is that it just opens up the field for faster players and longer passes, I don't see any logical reason why it would automatically make short passes as ineffective as you are saying.

To be honest I almost always play short passing because, like you, I also don't like watching my players kicking the ball way up the pitch just hoping somebody can get to it. I don't really experience the severe problems you're having when playing on a larger pitch, could it be more due to playing away? I'm assuming the only time you're playing a long pitch is away...

Other factors which could possibly make short passing not work as well (I'm just going to throw some ideas out, they may not all apply to your problem specifically):

-First, the basics: poor mental and technical: passing (duh), anticipation, decisions, creativity, positioning, off the ball, speed stats etc. Not saying you don't know this already, but it's worth saying
-Your players may have too much creative freedom, making more mistakes away from home
-raining, snowing, bad pitch condition.
-opponents have better motivation in front of their home crowd, and play more aggressively. I know that's obvious but they'll be working harder on interceptions, closing you down, marking tightly etc. Maybe compare your pass percentages home and away?

In short, I think it's probably a combination of things, not so much simply playing on a long pitch.

tyvm

lots of fiddeling with the tac for when at long pitches and now stand with 28wins in a row.

maion prob was simply that setting it to direct play makes the team play alot wider aswell and that screwed the passing, and made the defenders stand way to far apart

so a little tweaking and i got it fixed:)