how to play my strikers really close to each other ? tactician masters ?

Reaction score
im trying to replicate conte's 3-5-2 used in juventus and italy squad. the problem is that in order to get my dcs play that wide (DCL/DCR almost as DL/DRs) , WBL/WBR hugging the touchling both all the time, and MCL, MCR staying wide and move like central wingers, i have to use WIDE TI. this makes my 2 strikers playing far from each other, playing almost at the half spaces. since i dont use ML/MR/AML/AMR they try to go wide and exploit that space, but i want my MCL/MCR there.

i was thinking of using one as a central forward and one SS behind him but it disrupts the shape, and is something different from what conte is doing, since i want one of them more to the left, and the other one next to him. if i dont pick the roam from position/move into channels PI helps a bit, but still, they are a bit static, since it would be ideal if they could move to the central channels, but not to the wide ones. could anyone help?

i use a 3DC-WBL/WBR-flat 3 mcs DPLD/CMS(move into channels and get forward)/CMA (roam and move into channels) and currently testing the appropriate role for my 2 strikers! thanks!

im trying to replicate conte's 3-5-2 used in juventus and italy squad. the problem is that in order to get my dcs play that wide (DCL/DCR almost as DL/DRs) , WBL/WBR hugging the touchling both all the time, and MCL, MCR staying wide and move like central wingers, i have to use WIDE TI. this makes my 2 strikers playing far from each other, playing almost at the half spaces. since i dont use ML/MR/AML/AMR they try to go wide and exploit that space, but i want my MCL/MCR there.

i was thinking of using one as a central forward and one SS behind him but it disrupts the shape, and is something different from what conte is doing, since i want one of them more to the left, and the other one next to him. if i dont pick the roam from position/move into channels PI helps a bit, but still, they are a bit static, since it would be ideal if they could move to the central channels, but not to the wide ones. could anyone help?

i use a 3DC-WBL/WBR-flat 3 mcs DPLD/CMS(move into channels and get forward)/CMA (roam and move into channels) and currently testing the appropriate role for my 2 strikers! thanks!

The Shadow Striker role works best with a Deep Lying Forward - it says so in the SS description on the Tactics screen and I can testify to its effectiveness in my 4-4-1-1 formation. The SS will typically provide the more potent goal threat - particularly if he's tall and good in the air - but a decent DLF will also weigh in with some goals. They can play each other through on goal through the centre and they will often finish one another's rebounds, as well as providing two targets for crosses.

In a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, I prefer a False-9_Support & Target Man_Support/Advanced Forward_Attack*. During swift counter attacks, the F-9 will take possession around the centre circle while his attacking teammates make forward runs. His strike partner may well be quite far ahead of him so an F-9 who is good at long range passes can put you in on-goal. But the two front men will operate much closer together when you have possession in the opponent's half and have them pressed back to their own penalty area. They won't go wide as long as you have other players in those wide positions and the F-9 will often drop into the No.10 area to play short passes between defenders for his partner to strike.

I don't know how to get your MCs into wide areas, though. If your wing backs are on Attack duty with instructions to Cross from the byline, then during possession based attacks they will occupy those wide areas. But you'll need some defensive discipline in the central midfield so you don't leave your back-3 exposed. I'd try an Advanced Playmaker_Support in the MC line, directly behind the F-9; they will effectively share the No.10 role and if they are both good at long range passes (within an otherwise short passing team) they can help you to exploit attacking opportunities quickly. Put the AP_Support alongside a Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend and a Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support. The AP and the DLP will push forward when you're in possession, so you might find that they provide what you're looking for, width-wise. You might also try it with the BMW_Defend in the DM line, which might help to protect the back-3 a little more but will likely encourage your two MCs to sit slightly narrower.

*Your more advanced striker should always be on whichever side of the front two that corresponds to his strongest foot; right-footed players on the right, left-footed players on the left. Think it through in terms of the relative positions of the ball and the goal to those of the attacker and his defensive opponent...

i) Left-footed player on the left:

................G O A L M O U T H
..................'KEEPER

.....BALL
...ATTACKER - DEFENDER

The ball is as far away from the defender as possible with the attacker's body in-between, making a clean tackle more difficult/a foul more likely, and the attacker can shoot for the far corner of the goal with his stronger foot.

ii) Right-footed player on the left:

................G O A L M O U T H
..................'KEEPER

...........BALL
...ATTACKER - DEFENDER

The ball is closer to the defender, making it easier for him to make a clean tackle, and the attacker has the choice of either shooting across goal on his weaker foot or opening up his body to the defender to try a placed shot to the far side with his right foot, making it easier to tackle him.

Last edited:
I've ever tried what conte do with juve and italy. Basically conte team was play with high tempo and defend tight and rapidly. After some trying and experiment i could find the solution. You have to play bit fluid instead of very fluid. Because when italy defend each player maintain the gap each others. And when they attack they look so fluid but not too many switch. And set the defensive line little bit deep as well. But even though play fluidly you must set the wide range to narrow or fairly narrow. It makes the team defend tight and maintain their gap horizontally. And at the back you have 3 players which usually conte have Barzagli at right Bonucci centre and Chiellini on left. I set Bonucci or the other defender who can play as BPD and give him cover duty. And play Barzagli and Chiellini or other as ordinary CD with stopper duty even as LD. And place one player in front of these backs as the DLP like Motta De Rossi Verratti or Pirlo. But you can change to the other roke and the other player which is not DLP or RGA if you have one more creative player in front. This DLP as the shield of defender. And i deploy 2 more player in CM position with many roles depend on who will play and who the opponent is. And on the flanks i deploy on MR/ML position instead of WBR/WBL. But with DW role or WM role, depends the player who will play there. They can occupy the with area and reach the byline. And also makes the wide CD (Chiellini and Barzagli) moves to wide position in deep rather than you played the flanks as WB both. And the role 2 strikers in front depend how you want to play and who will play. Actually conte deploy 2 strikers which is different but complete each other. One big man and one fast agile player often (Llorente Giovinco, Llorente Tevez, Pelle-Eder) the big man can hold the ball or win the air when got long pass and the fast player can reach the long ball which deploy to free area. And i set 'clear the ball to the flanks' the tactical system makes all players do many move and run. Even the striker could track back untik behind the kickoff line. Even when you use DF he will make pressing. And you can play SS too if you want. This is the most frequent used by me (DF-F9, DLF-SS, DF-SS, TM-SS)

didnt see the replies, now i noticed! thanks! i finally used a DLFS and a SS, always one of them goes more to the left and the other one more to the right so it seems to do the job! i used very wide TI though (in standard mentality and shorter passing) to get the real conte width in the buildup play