How to play van Persie and Rooney together?

Alaza

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm wondering how to play RVP and Rooney along each other in a 4-4-2 with United. I've been trying this a lot of different ways throughout the season I'm currently playing. Indeed I have no problems scoring goals in general, but I can't get to seem that partnership to work. I've attached my tactics as a screenshot. I've tried to play Rooney as a DLP, AF and I've tried to play RVP as CF, DLP and AF, and tried Rooney as supporting as well. However, both of them perform miserably with this tactic.

My concern could be that I've never gotten them to get used to the tactic. How long time does a partnership like that time to form, tactically?

I used the RVP as Poacher and Rooney as Treq.
Check you slider for Rooney and keep him away from RVP.

in my old fm 2013 save,I used Rooney as complete forward while RVP as poacher.I set rooney's mentality to normal,the range is from 7 until 13 and RVP have attacking mentality,the range is 14 until 20.adjust rooney and rvp's slider according to your team's style.
and,if Rooney got injured,put RVP into the CF role then chicha or welb could fill that poacher role.Both are great and have good goalscoring record also in my save as super-sub.
Hope it help you :)

As I'm playing a 4-4-2, I'm thinking the trequartista for Rooney is not a viable option. However, I might try and use him in my backup 4-2-3-1 formation. What I'm wondering as well is, that it might be unfortunate to remove Rooney completely from any defensive responsibilities in a 4-4-2 for difficult away games.

I've tried the setup with Rooney as CF and RvP as poacher, however I'm quite sure that Rooney never performed well like this. I will try it again, making him more defensive than RvP.

But in general, using RvP as poacher, isn't it a bit a waste of such a complete forward? I mean, the poacher role for me is Chicharito, because he lacks the skill to create an attack, but RvP does just that.

They're both world class strikers so whatever role you give to them, they'll still score loads!!
Personally I'll set rooney to support rvp like IRL, because rooney work harder, a better team player while RVP has godlike finishing.. If they both play upfront I'd give Rooney CF-Support and Rvp Poacher-Attack.. You may think poacher will waste RVP's creative play but he already has Rooney to support him so it's better for him to focus on scoring.. He's not fast but his finishing mean he'll still score loads! I'll also move the wide midfielder to winger position so they'll attack better.

If you want to mimic Rooney and RVP like IRL though, put Rooney deeper in AMC position and set him to Trequartista, but with closing down to full and RVP to Adv Forward/ Complete Forward attack..

I will have a go at the solution with Rooney as CF (support) in the pre-season. I just came out of my first season with The Double with Rooney scoring 31 in 45 and RvP scoring 13 in 27. So it's definitely not bad, but most of the goals are scored with either Chicha or Welbeck at either of their side.

I don't think I'll try and replicate the real life formation, seeing that I always felt that Rooney is wasted, especially against lower ranking teams, with the many defensive responsibilities.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

Another related question:

How do you play Kagawa in a flat midfield? In my 4-4-2 he really doesn't perform as well as I could have hoped, having a rating of 7.02 in 15 (15) appearances, 3 goals, 3 assists and no player of the match awards.

I'm considering enforcing my M(C) role at the moment, seeing that only Cleverley and Fletcher are the only ones performing decent, and obviously Scholes is retiring after next season.

There's no way Kagawa can perform in a flat midfield because he's technically an attacking midfielder.. If you want to play him in the CM then use at least formation with 3 CM, set him to CM-Attack and you'll see improvement in his rating..
Haven't manage Man Utd but If I do I'll move away from the old 4-4-2 because you have new player like Kagawa and Rvp, so the best formation for the team will be 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2 diamond..Kagawa can play on the wing to, as inside forward- attack. I'm sure he'll still perform better than in flat midfield..

Actually it might now be a bad idea to consider having a diamond midfield instead. My 4-4-2 formation has just proven to be really stable, only having two losses in PL last season, and my pre-season has provided me with a 7-0, 2-1, 5-1 in my training camp in China, and a 4-1 win + a goal disallowed against Bayern.

I have tried to play 4-2-3-1 during last season, typically against teams that had conceded lots of goals against that specific formation, however, even having trained it in detail, I never seem to get my offensive play to work as well, not creating enough changes. It might be my team settings that are not made for the 4-2-3-1 with short passing, attack, fluid, push up, wide play, quick tempo?

4-2-3-1

Rooney as AMC playing as either Advanced playmaker or teresquarta

RVP as striker playing as Complete forward or advanced forward

4-2-3-1 can certainly goes well with short, quick passing, wide play and fluid. Maybe you don't get your player role and duty correctly?

Yes, I think I'll try that. I think I'm out of friendlies now though, but I might try and experiment a bit with the League Cup games and against lower ranked teams at home during the season.

AgentVinz:

I might not have, I can't remember exactly how I played it tbh. Would you play Rooney AMC as support or attack?

I started my Man U game with a 4-4-2 and then adapted to a 4-2-3-1 and it was easier to fit in these players.

I definitely would agree with you, also regarding my wingers. Young, Nani, Valencia and Bale in my case natural players for a 4-2-3-1, so it might be a good idea for me to try and get it to work. Also, it doesn't seem easy to find natural M(C)'s.

I am not an expert, but i would play it like advanced forward + complete forward combo when they switch positions with each other....

Or deep lying forward + poacher (Rooney + RVP)

But would you play Rooney as support or attack behind RvP?