How to prevent that late season collapse

amathews3416

Reaction score
Sorry if this is covered in another thread but was unable to find anything.

I'm currently playing with Tottenham in my second season. I always get off to a great start and can maintain form through the majority of the season. The problem I'm finding is that the last 6-8 games my team just falls apart. All of my star players go on a run of poor form and my strikers on goalless droughts. I'm losing to the worst teams in the league, teams that I blasted earlier in the year I'm assuming this is just due to the nature of the club and the pressure of the title/top 4 challenge. Luckily I'm always able to hold on to the 3rd/4th spot, but I am usually in 1st/2nd and would love to win the title.

Does this come down to my team talks and handling of the team in the media? I feel as though my players always react positively to my interactions with them. Is there anything else I'm missing here or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with for a few years until the stature of my club grows and the team is used to these type of pressures. Should I bring in some more veteran type players? Spurs are a relatively young side and I usually sign only younger talent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm really hoping to push on and win the title and not have to deal w/ sweating out the last few fixtures to ensure Champions League football.

Thanks for any responses.

Theyre probably getting complacent/cocky. Check your assistants advice before the game and tell the cocky ones you expect a performance. Also be more expectant and give less praise(unless its really earned) if your doing well.

Yeah in my Man Utd no foreigners save Ashley Young scored four a game now he's hardly to be seen and i used to win 6-0, 7-0 now its 1-1 draws and 2-1 defeats and havent changed tactics all season

Yeah in my Man Utd no foreigners save Ashley Young scored four a game now he's hardly to be seen and i used to win 6-0, 7-0 now its 1-1 draws and 2-1 defeats and havent changed tactics all season

That'll be why then, the AI eventually figures your tactic out. Ways I find to prevent it are lower training, and take the pressure off in team talks. :)

Also check fitness levels. If players are 'tired' or 'jaded', then they'll play like **** most of the time. Give them a rest if they need it so they aren't burntout come end of season - this kind of thing builds up too, so one season they may be fine but will hit the wall in the second or the third etc. Rotate if you can.

Its weird cos im totality opposite, I start off rubbish up until around Christmas and then my form kicks in (If i have a decent team). That maybe down to me signing about 5 players each summer tho :S

Its weird cos im totality opposite, I start off rubbish up until around Christmas and then my form kicks in (If i have a decent team). That maybe down to me signing about 5 players each summer tho :S

Could be impact of squad gelling. 5 players every season is a lot.

I think for me, I never suffer from such issues. What I do suffer from is mid-season crisis, where I always have a huge patch of losses and wins. I think it's down to the fact that I always sell my squad rotation players whose values have risen at least double if not thrice from the price I bought them, and then sell them off at a good profit at the start of each season. Then I will replace them with at least 4-5 players, with 7-8 under 18 players to sell in a few years' time. So, it could be the impact of squad gelling. My first team is quite standard though, it's always the squad rotation players I sell or buy in. I don't really like buying the Messi and Ronaldos.

There's no choice, since I am playing Middlesbourgh, and all the vultures are hunting my top players (thank god, they are loyal and I did win a lot).